Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: John Hervey Strikes again

  1. #11
    Nothing witty here lest it offend
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    861

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceJB21 View Post
    YES, after looking at the detailed pics of the car when I first got it, with the original wheels, I know that my wheels were all matching before I sent them off. I have to say, his guy did a great job on the wheels in general, they look great. BUT, I've been after John for over 7 months to send me a new, correct, one. That is completely unacceptable for a business owner to treat a customer that way. That is what pisses me off.
    Unfortunately, I've seen this movie before.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2011

    Location:  Huntsville, AL

    Posts:    17

    My VIN:    17009

    Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Unfortunately, I've seen this movie before.
    What?!? The same thing has happened to you?

  3. #13
    Not really banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,023

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceJB21 View Post
    Well for one, i don't get on here and look up reviews on vendors so i was unaware of that. Secondly, now that I have looked on here it appears every vendor has had shit talked about them at some point. You're right, i should have known better but seriously dude who messes up wheels?!? He doesn't even do them himself he takes them to a machine shop for god's sake.
    It's not so much that he is the only one who makes mistakes, everyone does from time to time, but he is the only one who refuses to own up to them.

  4. #14
    One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Vancouver, BC

    Posts:    3,301

    My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceJB21 View Post
    What?!? The same thing has happened to you?
    In 2010, Hervey literally sold and mailed me garbage. He sent me a busted up, broken switch that was even missing part of the plunger neck. When i sent him pics of it he claimed he couldn't see the damage in the pictures. That was the first and last time I bought from John.
    Dave

    Here, somewhere.


  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2011

    Location:  Huntsville, AL

    Posts:    17

    My VIN:    17009

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's not so much that he is the only one who makes mistakes, everyone does from time to time, but he is the only one who refuses to own up to them.
    Yeah I mean that's what I'm talking about. It's been over 8 months and all he does is make up excuses, then he recently sent me an email explaining that I was a "kid who lost his lollipop" and that I should not make such a big deal out of it. It's simply the principle of the whole thing. You would think in a community of owners this small you wouldn't want to piss people off. I have purchased parts from every DeLorean vendor there is including Ed back when he owned DeLorean One. This is BY FAR the WORST experience I've ever had with anyone, let alone a DeLorean vendor. I told John I was going to keep everyone posted as to how this situation unfolds and that as soon as it's rectified I would drop the whole thing. This has yet to happen.

  6. #16
    One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Vancouver, BC

    Posts:    3,301

    My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceJB21 View Post
    Yeah I mean that's what I'm talking about. It's been over 8 months and all he does is make up excuses, then he recently sent me an email explaining that I was a "kid who lost his lollipop" and that I should not make such a big deal out of it. It's simply the principle of the whole thing. You would think in a community of owners this small you wouldn't want to piss people off. I have purchased parts from every DeLorean vendor there is including Ed back when he owned DeLorean One. This is BY FAR the WORST experience I've ever had with anyone, let alone a DeLorean vendor. I told John I was going to keep everyone posted as to how this situation unfolds and that as soon as it's rectified I would drop the whole thing. This has yet to happen.
    John doesn't care.
    Dave

    Here, somewhere.


  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

    Posts:    704

    My VIN:    2691

    Josh

    On a similar note I sent DPI my old core motor six months ago
    and haven't received my 2500.00 deposit....

  8. #18
    Senior Member ccurzio's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Atlanta-ish

    Posts:    2,215

    My VIN:    5311

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Hervey is the worst.

    I remember hearing a while back that he hated the forum(s) because they were doing damage to his business. That shit cracks me up, because how he runs his business is what's damaging his business.
    - Chris


    what

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2016

    Location:  McCleary WA

    Posts:    67

    My VIN:    2542

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    I wasn't going to pile onto this, but after reading some of the comments just can't resist. I have nothing to lose since I would never buy from John anyway.

    In 1986 I started my DeLorean parts business, Specialty Automotive, in Olympia WA. I was totally inexperienced in running a business, but had one major goal - fair, prompt and honest service. Any complaints, and there were really very few, were dealt with quickly and to the customer's satisfaction even if I lost money on the deal. I think I built up a good reputation quickly that way. But suddenly I began getting complaints about shoddy products and demands that I take parts back THAT I HAD NEVER SOLD! After checking into this I found that there was a new player in the game going by the name of Special T DeLorean Parts. In their frustration with him, customers were somehow assuming that the name similarity meant we were branches of the same business I guess. After fielding a number of these complaints I called John to discuss the issue. One of my first questions was "Why in the world did you choose a business name so close to mine in such a limited market?" His response was to the effect of "It's a free world, what's your problem?" I could see quickly that this was not going to go well. Luckily our paths diverged somewhat, with me sticking to OEM parts and innovations like remote door opener kits, steering column bushings, s/s speedo cables, etc. while he apparently focused more on other areas. To this day I have no idea why he tried to clone my well-established business name, or where "Special 'T'" even came from. I eventually sold my business and moved on, never expecting to come back to the world of DeLorean ownership. What goes around.....
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015
    2000 Corvette convertible

  10. #20
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    1,890

    My VIN:    6125

    Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    I wasn't going to pile onto this, but after reading some of the comments just can't resist. I have nothing to lose since I would never buy from John anyway.

    In 1986 I started my DeLorean parts business, Specialty Automotive, in Olympia WA. I was totally inexperienced in running a business, but had one major goal - fair, prompt and honest service. Any complaints, and there were really very few, were dealt with quickly and to the customer's satisfaction even if I lost money on the deal. I think I built up a good reputation quickly that way. But suddenly I began getting complaints about shoddy products and demands that I take parts back THAT I HAD NEVER SOLD! After checking into this I found that there was a new player in the game going by the name of Special T DeLorean Parts. In their frustration with him, customers were somehow assuming that the name similarity meant we were branches of the same business I guess. After fielding a number of these complaints I called John to discuss the issue. One of my first questions was "Why in the world did you choose a business name so close to mine in such a limited market?" His response was to the effect of "It's a free world, what's your problem?" I could see quickly that this was not going to go well. Luckily our paths diverged somewhat, with me sticking to OEM parts and innovations like remote door opener kits, steering column bushings, s/s speedo cables, etc. while he apparently focused more on other areas. To this day I have no idea why he tried to clone my well-established business name, or where "Special 'T'" even came from. I eventually sold my business and moved on, never expecting to come back to the world of DeLorean ownership. What goes around.....
    I'd heard bits and pieces of this story several years ago and it was just one more thing that made me steer away from Hervey. Thanks for filling in the full story for everyone else to read.

    Your DeLorean ownership story is a really interesting one by the way... I was so glad to see you were able to buy back your old car to fix it up back to its former glory after the fire.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •