FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Bright LEDs

My VIN:    03572

Super Bright LEDs

I was looking over the https://www.superbrightleds.com/ site and see they are now offering CAN buss LEDs.

Looks like the CAN buss type just draws the same current as an incandescent. So I guess they have a built in load resistor which puts the same heat as the incandescent into the light fixture. Pretty dumb idea. At least using the external load resistor you could move that heat outside the fixture. You need the load resistor with ECU blinker control and or ECU signaling a bad light. We are lucky that our DeLorean uses a "blinker" that we can replace with an LED compatible blinker.

Like the dumb idea of making a festoon with a switching regulator which makes the bulb non-dimmable. Most every car dims dome lights on and off. There is a way to make switching regulators dim but I have yet to see anyone do that.

Some of their specification data sheets list that the bulb is dimmable or not. Some specification state instant on and off but I don't know if those are switching regulators. I wish they would standardize their spec sheets.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Thats what i love and hate about my switched regulator festoons. They are nice and bright and light up the interior very well at night, but i do miss the dimming of the bulb though. I also have the same bulbs and same size in the trunk, engine compartment and tag lights. One thing i dont understand is if you get the led upgrade from DMC, why sell 2 different size festoon bulbs when they are all the same size?
    Here is one of those bulbs for my engine!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I got the LED kit from DMCH (a week before I even took delivery of my car if memory serves). Say what you will but I bought those 8 years ago and I haven't had to replace a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I got the LED kit from DMCH (a week before I even took delivery of my car if memory serves). Say what you will but I bought those 8 years ago and I haven't had to replace a single one.
    Oh im not saying anything bad but i ordered the same kit between 8 to 10 years ago but never understood why they had 2 different sizes? It wasn't till after i was redoing my car that i measured the bulbs on another DeLorean i was working on and they were all the same size. I think it is 38mm bulbs? I have to look it up again. Thats all im saying

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Oh im not saying anything bad but i ordered the same kit between 8 to 10 years ago but never understood why they had 2 different sizes? It wasn't till after i was redoing my car that i measured the bulbs on another DeLorean i was working on and they were all the same size. I think it is 38mm bulbs? I have to look it up again. Thats all im saying

Oh it wasn't directed at your comment st all. As far as bulb sizes, maybe the bonnet light was smaller than the interiors and engine bay? I can't remember.

I didn't think you were Michael but you stated, I cant remember what size was smaller but I do know that all the festoon size bulbs where the exact same.

My VIN:    3294

I'm in the middle of putting my dash binnacle back together after having it recovered. While I've got it all torn apart, I figured this would be the time to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED's. I know not to replace the battery light, but all others are fair game. Anyway, I ordered the 194 equivalent bulbs from Super Bright LED's and they arrived yesterday. Is there a polarity thing I should be aware of. I know some LED's will not light if the polarity is reversed, but none of these new bulbs are marked in any way. Is there a way to determine which is positive and which is negative on an LED bulb, or is it basically trial and error?
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    03572

Most of the small LEDs are polity sensitive. You could use an ohm meter to see which lead is the + side via seeing a dim glow when correct (red meter lead is the +). Or just temporarily plug the connectors in and reverse the ones that don't light.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    I'm in the middle of putting my dash binnacle back together after having it recovered. While I've got it all torn apart, I figured this would be the time to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED's. I know not to replace the battery light, but all others are fair game. Anyway, I ordered the 194 equivalent bulbs from Super Bright LED's and they arrived yesterday. Is there a polarity thing I should be aware of. I know some LED's will not light if the polarity is reversed, but none of these new bulbs are marked in any way. Is there a way to determine which is positive and which is negative on an LED bulb, or is it basically trial and error?
    Barry, about to do the same. Did you find the those LEDS from Superbright to be sensitive to polarity?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post

Might have something to do with covering all bases. (Replacement dome light assemblies etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast