FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paint codes, converted to liter/gram

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    My gut is telling me that there may have been some FINE metallic in the original formula.
    Do you know what the BASF 94877 crosses over to? Make, model, year?
    It looks great.
    If you call BASF's automotive paint hotline, you can speak to Mimi and she will tell you that the 94877 is what they have listed for the '81 DeLorean. As I've said, I don't think this is 100% accurate, and I don't know their source of this correspondence. I like the color, though.

Another pic of the 94877 under different lighting:

IMG_3658.jpg

My VIN:    4941

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    If you call BASF's automotive paint hotline, you can speak to Mimi and she will tell you that the 94877 is what they have listed for the '81 DeLorean. As I've said, I don't think this is 100% accurate, and I don't know their source of this correspondence. I like the color, though.

Another pic of the 94877 under different lighting:

IMG_3658.jpg
    I called BASF today. They told me that it was a "fleet color". Interestingly, PPG also calls the original delorean grey a "fleet color". I rarely hear that in my day to day dealings in autobody.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I called BASF today. They told me that it was a "fleet color". Interestingly, PPG also calls the original delorean grey a "fleet color". I rarely hear that in my day to day dealings in autobody.
    Why are you guys still harping on this and guessing on master tints? I posted not only the single stage color formula from PPG but the same color in Base/clear using a PPG camera in my car and their tints. You have everything you need.

paint codes/ refinishing bumper fascias

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Why are you guys still harping on this and guessing on master tints? I posted not only the single stage color formula from PPG but the same color in Base/clear using a PPG camera in my car and their tints. You have everything you need.
    Hi Michael
    Yes.... I know that you already invented that wheel. ( ppg 33584 / 925369) basecoat/ clearcoat.
    BUT here is where I am coming from- I am trying to get a Dupont Code from all of this. I only use the DuPont chroma system. Everything in my shop is set up for DuPont. And I am familiar with how to use it.
    Let me go one step further. I need to strip my fascias (paint is cracked and peeling). Therefore, I will need to put down a coat of primer/sealer before basecoat and clearcoat. The sealer (which is DuPont chroma premier sealer mixed with flex agent, activator and reducer) is compatible with only DuPont basecoasts. (so in other words, I am stuck with DuPont)
    At the end of the day, I will try to find a clean, un-sun-damaged part of the bottom of the front fascia and put a camera on it. I will then share the DuPont code with the rest of the community.
    I hope that this explains the method in my madness.

Hi Michael
    Yes.... I know that you already invented that wheel. ( ppg 33584 / 925369) basecoat/ clearcoat.
    BUT here is where I am coming from- I am trying to get a Dupont Code from all of this. I only use the DuPont chroma system. Everything in my shop is set up for DuPont. And I am familiar with how to use it.
    Let me go one step further. I need to strip my fascias (paint is cracked and peeling). Therefore, I will need to put down a coat of primer/sealer before basecoat and clearcoat. The sealer (which is DuPont chroma premier sealer mixed with flex agent, activator and reducer) is compatible with only DuPont basecoasts. (so in other words, I am stuck with DuPont)
    At the end of the day, I will try to find a clean, un-sun-damaged part of the bottom of the front fascia and put a camera on it. I will then share the DuPont code with the rest of the community.
    I hope that this explains the method in my madness.
    My apologies but I wasn't aware you needed help. I thought it was Bullitt (the op) who needed help nor was I aware it had to be Dupont only since Bullitt posted the PPG formula to begin with.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-09-2017 at 08:51 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

My apologies but I wasn't aware you needed help. I thought it was Bullitt (the op) who needed help nor was I aware it had to be Dupont only since Bullitt posted the PPG formula to begin with.
    Since you are "married" to the DuPont system, take the PPG formulae, call Dupont and ask them what their conversion is. They should be able to come up with a comparable recipe in DuPont product. A camera can only reproduce the chroma, it cannot decipher the special agents like metal flakes, pearl, or other additives. Then shoot a test piece to see how it looks. Even with all of today's technology it doesn't always come out the way you want. Then there is technique. How it is applied can also affect how it looks. For example you could do an orange peel base coat and smooth it out with the clearcoat to get certain effects. Using an electrostatic gun orients all of the flakes the same way where an ordinary spray gun won't do that. It can take some experimentation to get it the way you want if you are trying to replicate the same look, especially if you use a different system.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    A camera can only reproduce the chroma, it cannot decipher the special agents like metal flakes, pearl, or other additives.
    Oh but it can indeed. Trust me on that from someone 20 yrs in the business.

For example you could do an orange peel base coat and smooth it out with the clearcoat to get certain effects.
    Not really, Base is VERY thin and is very hard to "orange peel", even if you were able to shoot it tihck enough to give a rough texture without affecting the flop, the clear coat would also not "smooth it out" unless you went back and wetsanded and buffed it smooth. Flattening agent normally produces a smooth "un orange peeled" finish but what you are suggesting is very unorthodox.

As far as using a turbine, traditonal air, HVLP, etc., the metal flakes are going to do what they do. They may go on a different way but the carrier and the reduction ratio pretty much defines how the metallic settles once it hits the surface and flashes (again, flash time is dependant on your carrier and reduction ratio, and of course the basics like temp and paint).
    Last edited by Michael; 02-10-2017 at 12:25 AM.

No apologies.... We are all trying to help each other !

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Since you are "married" to the DuPont system, take the PPG formulae, call Dupont and ask them what their conversion is. They should be able to come up with a comparable recipe in DuPont product. A camera can only reproduce the chroma, it cannot decipher the special agents like metal flakes, pearl, or other additives. Then shoot a test piece to see how it looks. Even with all of today's technology it doesn't always come out the way you want. Then there is technique. How it is applied can also affect how it looks. For example you could do an orange peel base coat and smooth it out with the clearcoat to get certain effects. Using an electrostatic gun orients all of the flakes the same way where an ordinary spray gun won't do that. It can take some experimentation to get it the way you want if you are trying to replicate the same look, especially if you use a different system.
    Thanks David.
    Believe me when I tell you- Dupont (xalta) cannot convert the formula. Man have I tried....

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I cannot figure out the "correct" color for my early model facias even after going through a bunch of treads. This thread if I'm reading it correctly is for the October '81 and after lighter, matte finish.

Can someone confirm:
    1. My VIN would have had a darker glossy finish; and if so
    2. What code can I give to the paint shop?

I can't go by what's currently on the car because they were painted previously (badly). James at DCMH posted these old PPG codes, but it's Greek to me. Is the earlier VIN code on p. 1 and the later lighter, matte code on p. 2?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Boxbot; 11-09-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast