FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Paint codes, converted to liter/gram

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I cannot figure out the "correct" color for my early model facias even after going through a bunch of treads. This thread if I'm reading it correctly is for the October '81 and after lighter, matte finish.

Can someone confirm:
    1. My VIN would have had a darker glossy finish; and if so
    2. What code can I give to the paint shop?

I can't go by what's currently on the car because they were painted previously (badly). James at DCMH posted these old PPG codes, but it's Greek to me. Is the earlier VIN code on p. 1 and the later lighter, matte code on p. 2?

Thanks!
    My understanding from talking to James Espey when I needed the correct early paint code is that the first page is a water based formula (i.e. EHP - Envirobase High Performance), and the second page is the oil based formula. You can see the difference in the "VOC less water" section. I used the MSDS # DBU1 (i.e. Deltron Basecoat) on the second page with a gloss finish when I re-painted my fascias in 2015, as the original method was oil based. It turned out well:

Apparently the Deltron DBU product has been discontinued from PPG in 2017 (announcement HERE ) so your paint supplier will have to match/ convert it to the paint system they use.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks for your help! Here is the photo of the paint information from the member who based it off your car.

I'll post some photos when I get it back from the shop!

124543471_10158651630610867_7830246377317547217_n.jpg

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

I appear to have the same problem that others have mentioned. My painter needs a conversion to DuPont code for the early style bumpers and I don't see it anywhere. Can anyone help?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4