FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Help buy a Delorean in Toronto

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Those are the ones that people don't just "get running" or "put back on the road". The trouble free part comes at a price which a lot of perspective buyers don't take into account for when figuring on restoration costs.

There are indeed trouble free DeLoreans, I happen to have one myself as do a lot of people here but picking one up at 25k on ebay and changing the fluids does not a trouble free DeLorean make. This is why I contend that the high priced DeLoreans (over 35k) are often dismissed for lower priced more troublesome cars because the headaches those 15 to 20k cars will give are not as obvious to new buyers
    It was sarcasm, but yes, would how ever disagree that any delorean is truly "trouble free"

My VIN:    11594, 17104, 16890, 6762, 6155, 16654, 6074, 2136, 4266

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Justin, you should ask Tamir about getting a vendor account so your posts are red (or whatever the colour is). Also, I can never remember your user name, so it's a little tricky to tell new people who to search for. Just my $0.02.
    Np Dave, I'll message him

Thanks again,
    Justin

Wells Auto

'82 DeLorean DMC-12 11594
    '83 DeLorean DMC-12 17104 (CDN Spec)

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

The real "trouble free" ones, are the ones parked in the garage 10 years ago and haven't given a minute of trouble since.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

baldwinsusa
    I haven't had any trouble with mine since selling it. But I must love trouble because I'm still looking for my second....Ah, the addiction is real

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    It was sarcasm, but yes, would how ever disagree that any delorean is truly "trouble free"

With proper maintenance and routine inspection a DeLorean can be a trouble-free car. During driving season, I make it a point to check the fluids and tire pressures every week. I also do a visual check of belts and engine compartment hoses every fill-up. At each oil change I do a visual check under the car and a shake down of the front end. It's amazing how a simple inspection can identify potential problems before they begin. I've also noticed that my Delorean's reliability has an inverse relationship with the number of spare parts and tools that I carry. Hence, a trunkful of spare parts and tools results in a more reliable Delorean. In contrast, if I leave my spare alternator in my other DeLorean, the alternator will likely fail 50 miles from home ;-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    3937

Completely agree with what Michael and Andrew (and Dermot!) said about trouble free and reliability.

The cars get more reliable the more you use them, most of us understand this. What can get new owners in trouble (pardon the pun) is when they don't understand or "know" their car, because of no time behind the wheel, or no time doing the repairs themselves, and they don't pick up on small and subtle changes in the way things sound or feel.

It is just a car, but the better you know your own, the more likely I think it is that any trouble you might have is of the minor variety. Big problems generally come to those that just write a cheque for the best car they can find and then hand it off to a mechanic they know to sort it out.

That kind of "recipe for disaster" (and this is just my opinion) is what happens when someone shows up new, gets a car, and then just as promptly disappears. Catch 22 of sorts in that in order to have some luck with these cars long term, you have to have some long term experience with them, and specifically the one you drive yourself.

Patience, time, money, minimal nagging from your peanut gallery and a substantial vocabulary of swear words is what I think the winning recipe is with these cars.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

I never said they aren't reliable cars, none of mine have ever left me stranded. I also never said major break down, but a delorean (like any old car) always seems to want something, even if you just want to tinker or adjust something. Thus imo never "trouble free"

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The trouble is free. It's fixing the trouble that costs money.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

All cars are money pits.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    Proto 1 and many other amazing Deloreans

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The trouble is free. It's fixing the trouble that costs money.
    Lol. Bravo Dave.
    Mike Fiore
    Gulfcoast Motorworks, Delorean Division
    www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com
    28701 Trails Edge Blvd
    Bonita Springs, FL. 34134
    239-495-8550
    239-405-7253

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3