FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Paint for frame

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Paint for frame

Im cleaning off surface rust and old peeled epoxy and had a question about painting the areas..

I've seem people reference POR-15, which I guess is good...but also wondered about products like a Duplicolor paint I saw at autozone which seems to do about the same thing, but comes in a rattle can...or rustoleum paints (I used some of that on my rear fascia support and it works fine on rust.

The POR-15 is about $33 a pint through Summit
    The Duplicolor and Rustoleum are about $10 a can

Just wanted to get some thoughts

Thanks
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    02530

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Im cleaning off surface rust and old peeled epoxy and had a question about painting the areas..

I've seem people reference POR-15, which I guess is good...but also wondered about products like a Duplicolor paint I saw at autozone which seems to do about the same thing, but comes in a rattle can...or rustoleum paints (I used some of that on my rear fascia support and it works fine on rust.

The POR-15 is about $33 a pint through Summit
    The Duplicolor and Rustoleum are about $10 a can

Just wanted to get some thoughts

Thanks
    I had to do so some minor repairs on my frame and had to completely repaint my fuel tank cover plate because leaking brake fluid had eaten the epoxy off. I bought a POR-15 starter kit on Amazon for $20 which also gives you the metal prep which is good to use if you have some rust. I used that then the black POR-15 and let it dry over night. The next day I sprayed it with Krylon superbond paint+ primer in classic gray. It's a pretty close match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

PO-15 is mainly meant to be used over rusty metal to stop any further rusting. The other paints no so much. They need more prep, such as removing as much surface rust as possible first. What many do is remove whatever dirt and rust is loose, paint with POR-15 and then paint that so it is the same color as the rest of the frame. For instance with Krylon Smoke Grey. It depends on how bad the frame is and how nice you want it to look when done. In hidden areas POR-15 is all you have to do. For example, inside the engine cradle it is difficult to paint it with a brush or a spray gun. Once you get it as clean as you can you dip a rag in the paint and then, using a stick you push it inside the frame and move it around. Messy bit it works. The main thing is to remove any epoxy paint that has come loose from the frame. Moisture will get between it and the metal and the metal will disappear. Then all you will have is the loose epoxy paint! What happened is the epoxy paint got brittle and separated from the metal. Or it got wet with brake fluid and lost adhesion to the base metal. In any case now there is nothing to prevent moisture from getting to the metal fame and rotting it away.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

its not a choice of either or, you use both. Gives half decent protection. If you want to do a full out repair of the epoxy you would remove the frame from the car, have it chemically stripped, galvanized then powdercoated.

David provided a pretty good description of the diy repair process.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Yeah, chisel, wire wheel and soap and shampoo (for cleaning up after all that stuff falls)....

I dont have a lift (or the expertise) to actually strip the car from the frame, so its all under..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon