FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel smell - Air Vents

Fuel smell - Air Vents

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Could also be the seal on the fuel sender. If it isn't perfectly seated/sealed, it can come sloshing up around the edges when you're driving and then the air rushing by takes it from there into the cabin.

A good test to see if this is happening is to gain access to the top of the fuel tank by removing everything from your trunk, including the carpet board and spare tire, and then remove the access cover that's under the spare tire. You can now see the top of the tank and fuel sender. Check to see if there is any obvious fuel wet spots first. If not, and there may not be if it has evaporated, leave everything out of the trunk just like you have it and go for a little drive around the block. While going about 10 mph or so, slam the brakes on hard and come to a complete stop (make sure your neighbour isn't driving right behind you first!). Now pull over safely and have a look at the top of the tank and fuel sender and see if it is wet. If it is, you know where your leak is. Credit to Dave S. (of course) for sharing that little trick with me a year or so ago.
    I did the test, and the fuel sender was not properly seated.

I also made myself a hot air dam!

I'll take the road next weekend and see how it goes.
    Thanks!

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772
    Last edited by madstudios; 02-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Nice! Let us know how it goes!

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I just had a very similar issue. Mine turned out to be broken fuel lines. The inner tube cracked and was just held on with the dust cover. lol Thank goodness Im in driving distance from Pj Grady.

Will

My VIN:    3937

Picking a thread with "fuel smell" in the title...

Is there anything that comes to mind as to why one might smell fuel more so when the tank is closer to empty than to full? I'm still not 100% convinced I am smelling fuel, but over the past couple of weeks, it seems like there is a smell of fuel in the cabin. Not always and not terribly consistent. Seems like it is more noticeable when making a full turn at an intersection (so either the braking part or the momentum shift of the car from side to side). And perhaps more noticeable when the tank has less in it than soon after a fill-up.

I've checked recently (visually) the top of the tank, sender seal, under the fuel pump boot and flexible hoses from the tank to the hardlines. No obvious signs of fuel or other wet spots.

Just curious if anyone has an "ah-ha" idea that would lead to the smells being more evident when the tank isn't full.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Picking a thread with "fuel smell" in the title...

Is there anything that comes to mind as to why one might smell fuel more so when the tank is closer to empty than to full? I'm still not 100% convinced I am smelling fuel, but over the past couple of weeks, it seems like there is a smell of fuel in the cabin. Not always and not terribly consistent. Seems like it is more noticeable when making a full turn at an intersection (so either the braking part or the momentum shift of the car from side to side). And perhaps more noticeable when the tank has less in it than soon after a fill-up.

I've checked recently (visually) the top of the tank, sender seal, under the fuel pump boot and flexible hoses from the tank to the hardlines. No obvious signs of fuel or other wet spots.

Just curious if anyone has an "ah-ha" idea that would lead to the smells being more evident when the tank isn't full.
    I get more of a fuel smell when it's hot out and my tank is 1/2 or less. Maybe closer to 1/4. I've checked EVERYTHING...all that was mentioned previously. The one thing I'm considering are my vacuum lines that are Hervey's silicone replacements. I'm wondering if the diameter is smaller than originally designed and not able to take the vapors back to the canister "fast" enough. Have to try that someday.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I just cleaned out my tank and found that the smell actually got stronger after I pumped all the gas out..no idea why.
    In fact, even after cleaning it there still seems to be fuel vapors...though that could be because I have my lines still not connected.

I was smelling fuel before and when I pulled the pump I found that the connector on the pump itself was loose, as well as no clamp securing the pump in the boot...so those are areas that might be good to check as well if it comes up again.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    I get more of a fuel smell when it's hot out and my tank is 1/2 or less. Maybe closer to 1/4. I've checked EVERYTHING...all that was mentioned previously. The one thing I'm considering are my vacuum lines that are Hervey's silicone replacements. I'm wondering if the diameter is smaller than originally designed and not able to take the vapors back to the canister "fast" enough. Have to try that someday.
    Yes, I had fuel smell when it was hot too, so I've made myself a hot air dam, just like hervey sells, to keep the tank cooler. I had no more fuel smells so far.

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2