FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door key for 2 key system

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Door key for 2 key system

Unfortunately I lost my keys this week. The door key was the only original I had. I do have a copy but its not perfect. It works in the driver door if I jiggle it a little. But it dosent work in the passanger door at all. I was able to get blanks today and have them cut so I at least have something. But I'd really like to have the right keys back. Does anyone know if DMCH or anyone can reproduce keys based on VIN? I may have to consider converting to a one key setup. But I'd like to keep it as it was.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Does anyone know if DMCH or anyone can reproduce keys based on VIN?
    No, DMCH likely does not have a keycode list by VIN.

Yes, call DMCH to solve your problem. First pop the door roof panel off the inside and look for the door keycode written inside of it on the stainless. DMCH will use that number to cut the new key. I don't think they have door codes matched to VIN.

Start with the driver's door. With it open use a door panel removal spatula tool (from any auto parts store) to pop the roof panel loose at the hidden fir tree fasteners around the edges, then remove it and look at the bottom of the door roof. Sometimes you'll see more than a keycode - maybe some Irish graffiti awaits you there. Take a photo of it, then push the roof panel back on.

Calling DMCH is worth a shot. Especially if your car has any history with one of their franchises. The worst they can do is disappoint you...

I do know that DMCH will decode your key code from a high resolution image of your key for you in the future. So once you get things figured out make sure you send them that so you can get keys cut in the future with a phone call.

But yeah, the door code is usually written under the headliners. If all else fails you're looking at taking off the driver's side and hoping it's there.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

DMCH does not support the 2 key system anymore. They may still be able to help you though. The standard response will be to convert to the 1 key system. Your lock cylinders are probably very worn anyway. Alternately you can try a locksmith like Jesser Keys. That will require removal of ALL lock cylinders and sending them out. The only reason to stay with the 2 key system is originality. You can now get the lighted key in the 1 key system too. Much more convenient.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Thanks for the tips guys. Just one question about the key code. How many numbers or letters or numbers and letters is the code. Thanks
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    ...question about the key code. How many numbers or letters or numbers and letters is the code?
    Mine is "WRxxxx" with each x being one digit.

Banned

Go to an old fashioned lock smith. He can make a key simply by wiggling a blank in the tumbler, then filing away where the pins rubbed against the blank. Takes about 5 minutes.

#5939 has a double cut key -- ignition on one side and door locks on the other (two radically different cuts). I'm guessing the ignition tumbler was replaced or rekeyed before my ownership.

Bill Robertson

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The standard response will be to convert to the 1 key system.

Does anyone know when the 1 key system was implemented. 16510 was built in August of 82 and for some reason I have a 2 key system. It works fine but I always thought the 82/83s were supposed to have one key.

Nevermind. I found my answer. http://support.delorean.com/KB/a9/de...and-locks.aspx
    Last edited by stevedmc; 09-04-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Banned

Let's be brutally honest -- how VIN precise are production changes such as 2 key to 1 key? I know for a fact that my October VIN car spent a couple of months out by the fence (I've found December dates on it), which means my integrated door pulls are factory likely original. For all I know my car may have originally been 2 key as well, and a PO simply merged them together onto a single blank.

Bill Robertson

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Let's be brutally honest -- how VIN precise are production changes such as 2 key to 1 key? I know for a fact that my October VIN car spent a couple of months out by the fence (I've found December dates on it), which means my integrated door pulls are factory likely original. For all I know my car may have originally been 2 key as well, and a PO simply merged them together onto a single blank.

Bill Robertson
    My door locks seems to be the later style. My guess is that someone changed the door locks and were too lazy/cheap to goto a locksmith to get them keyed to match the ignition. Of course, like you said, there is no telling what might have happened at the factory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast