FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joe Cool Install

My VIN:    10353

Joe Cool Install

Hey everyone, so I just recently picked up a used Joe Cool unit and plugged it in however I couldn't find any directions online. I only found some old picture of an installed one via google showing where the connections went. Just wanted to confirm I have it correct? I went for a drive and noticed my temp gauge climbing and didn't hear the fans kick on so was worried I installed it incorrectly. The unit itself should be good, I opened it up and the fuses are intact.

Incidentally, before whenever my original fans would kick on I'd see the "cooling fan fail" light on the center console illuminate, but both fans work (I believe I had the in line fuse jumpers there before). That electrical area behind the passenger seat scares me every time I look at it with all the wires unplugged and going everywhere! Thanks!

Joe cool.jpgjoe cool wire.jpg

My VIN:    03572

That looks to be installed correctly. You can test it with the engine running, turn the AC on and the fans should kick on when the compressor comes on.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Are you sure it worked before you bought it? I had one and it worked great but i stopped driving my car to restore then when i got the car on the road, one of the solenoids burned out. Get with Dave McKeen! Is is the MASTER DeLorean electrical guy with DeLorean's and he makes all kinds of awesome upgrades for the car using solid state transistors instead of solenoids and half of my car is wired with all his stuff and it's trouble free. His site is DM-ENG.WEEBLY.COM

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Are you sure it worked before you bought it? I had one and it worked great but i stopped driving my car to restore then when i got the car on the road, one of the solenoids burned out. Get with Dave McKeen! Is is the MASTER DeLorean electrical guy with DeLorean's and he makes all kinds of awesome upgrades for the car using solid state transistors instead of solenoids and half of my car is wired with all his stuff and it's trouble free. His site is DM-ENG.WEEBLY.COM
    +1
    I think it is safe to say Dave's solid state fan fail relay has made Joe Cool obsolete. Love mine. Of course if the Joe Cool works there is probably little reason to replace it unless you are looking for something smaller.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    +1
    I think it is safe to say Dave's solid state fan fail relay has made Joe Cool obsolete. Love mine. Of course if the Joe Cool works there is probably little reason to replace it unless you are looking for something smaller.
    +1

I would say Dave's Fan Fail (solid state or fused) combined with his Fan Relay effectively eliminates fan issues entirely, at least in my case.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Thanks for all the good info everyone. I hope it works since I bought it off someone on this site! Unfortunately my A/C is out of R12 so doesn't work at the moment (actually got quoted $5K by a local shop to fix everything)!

If I jump the A/C switch by the passenger wheel and get the fans to start would that effectively show this Joe Cool unit is working?

I love his stuff! I also love his fan fail units combined with the LED hvac panel because when the fans come on either from the thermostat or A/C compressor, the 4 speed fan log lights up to signal both fans are operating normal! Love that piece of mind! I provided a few pictures so you see what I mean. I have his blue LED board and the logo lights green, if you get his green board, the logo lights blue. Also a very easy install. If there is a failure the fan fail will flash. Best safety upgrade ever!

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Thanks for all the good info everyone. I hope it works since I bought it off someone on this site! Unfortunately my A/C is out of R12 so doesn't work at the moment (actually got quoted $5K by a local shop to fix everything)!

If I jump the A/C switch by the passenger wheel and get the fans to start would that effectively show this Joe Cool unit is working?
    Glad we can help out! Thats why we're here. You can still check it by jumping the 2 otterstat wires together. One fan should come on first then the other.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Glad we can help out! Thats why we're here. You can still check it by jumping the 2 otterstat wires together. One fan should come on first then the other.

+1

Yes you can jump the low pressure switch but easier to just jump the otterstat.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

So quick update. I jumped the a/c switch the other day and the fans came on independently just as advertised by this Joe Cool box (even filmed it to prove they were both spinning). Figured it was good and took the car out and my temp gauge almost hit 220 with no fans. Before they would turn on well below that mark so I shut off the engine to let it cool down as I was scared to overheat my newly acquired Delorean!

Question now is how can I test the otterstat to make sure it still works? I find it hard to believe that it magically broke at the same time I plugged this box in! I tried searching the site but wasn't able to find any specific steps other than jumping the otterstat. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast