FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Microprocessor controlled idle ECU

My VIN:    03572

Microprocessor controlled idle ECU

While the forum was down, here is the status of my project.

I shipped an ECU to another owner. He put it on his car and his engine had a deceleration difference than my car. So I wrote some new software (I'm glad I rewrote that software because it's really improved on my car.) Anyway I shipped him a programmer and emailed him the new software. He will be testing it this weekend (I dying to hear results). This is going to be a good way to test the unit (shipped with a programmer). My goal is to get a few users running it all with one software revision then I will offer it for selling. The big problem is I only have three units. One on my car, I carry a spare unit, and the one I shipped. I have populated 15 boards in all but spare old ECUs are hard to come by.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post

I shipped an ECU to another owner. He put it on his car and his engine had a deceleration difference than my car. So I wrote some new software (I'm glad I rewrote that software because it's really improved on my car.) Anyway I shipped him a programmer and emailed him the new software. He will be testing it this weekend (I dying to hear results). This is going to be a good way to test the unit (shipped with a programmer). My goal is to get a few users running it all with one software revision then I will offer it for selling. The big problem is I only have three units. One on my car, I carry a spare unit, and the one I shipped. I have populated 15 boards in all but spare old ECUs are hard to come by.
    Dave, what and how does the microprocessor controlled idle ECU work? I missed your original posts....

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    Dave, what and how does the microprocessor controlled idle ECU work? I missed your original posts....
    It's a plug and play unit. I update your old one my installing a new circuit board into your old case and use the connector.

Some advantages of mine:

1) You can program the idle RPM via a switch. 775 to 1000 RPM in 25 RPM steps.
    2) Crystal controlled so the RPM you program is exactly the the RPM you get.
    3) Saves power. I shut down the idle motor power if the engine is not running. And I shut down the power above 1300 RPM. This is when the idle motor is fully closed.
    4) You can remove your idle switch if you desire. If you do this you must remove the diode (bypass it) in the harness near the idle ECU. Then I control your advance solenoid.
    5) You can program the unit delay. This is for help with idle hunting or the user with the Volvo idle motor. With my car using the stock idle motor I have no delay programmed. I think my ECU will help with cold start hunting but hunting caused by the lambda ECU will probably not be curred.
    6) I have a test mode you can enable to test your idle motor. You set this mode and it opens and shuts your idle motor slowly. You then look into the idle motor and see if the valve is sticking in any position.
    7) There is an LED on the board that lights when the idle motor is fully closed. This is to help you trouble shooting an idle problem and setting your curb idle.
    An air conditioning idle speed bump can be wired onto the board. This will bump the selected idle speed up 100 RPM if that signal is +12 volts.

See instructions on my web site that are in progress (still editing them).
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 06-03-2011 at 05:36 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

It's a plug and play unit. I update your old one my installing a new circuit board into your old case and use the connector.

Some advantages of mine:

1) You can program the idle RPM via a switch. 775 to 1000 RPM in 25 RPM steps.
    2) Crystal controlled so the RPM you program is exactly the the RPM you get.
    3) Saves power. I shut down the idle motor power if the engine is not running. And I shut down the power above 1300 RPM. This is when the idle motor is fully closed.
    4) You can remove your idle switch if you desire. If you do this you must remove the diode (bypass it) in the harness near the idle ECU. Then I control your advance solenoid.
    5) You can program the unit delay. This is for help with idle hunting or the user with the Volvo idle motor. With my car using the stock idle motor I have no delay programmed. I think my ECU will help with cold start hunting but hunting caused by the lambda ECU will probably not be curred.
    6) I have a test mode you can enable to test your idle motor. You set this mode and it opens and shuts your idle motor slowly. You then look into the idle motor and see if the valve is sticking in any position.
    7) There is an LED on the board that lights when the idle motor is fully closed. This is to help you trouble shooting an idle problem and setting your curb idle.
    An air conditioning idle speed bump can be wired onto the board. This will bump the selected idle speed up 100 RPM if that signal is +12 volts.

See instructions on my web site that are in progress (still editing them).
    That is pretty cool! The website is also very informative. However, I was unsuccessful in downloading the prototype part links...

Great job! Keep on upgrading! I will have to help finance the cause once I get some other things taken care of..

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    That is pretty cool! The website is also very informative. However, I was unsuccessful in downloading the prototype part links...

Great job! Keep on upgrading! I will have to help finance the cause once I get some other things taken care of..
    Yes those links were to the old fourm. Guess I'll have to remove them.
    Dave M vin 03572

I'm back making software changes. I'm making the software save the PWM settings at different temperature readings when the engine has a stable idle. That way I can instantly load that value when I detect your foot is off the gas. Doing this because I was able to get my engine into a hunting mode by punching the gas before I let it get to a stable idle after starting the engine.

So when you select a new idle RPM, change the curb idle setting or replace the idle motor the unit will self calibrate for those differences.

So it would be best to start your car cold and let it warmup to normal temp without touching the gas after a major change. That would calibrate all the values for each temperature reading.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 06-08-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

Boy I'm getting good at writing code . I wrote all that calibration code and did not have any bugs first time.

It now saves 32 values for 32 temperatures.

So far I can not break my ECU into hunting no matter how hard I try. I preload the values with what I got but they get updated anytime your engine is at a stable idle. Of course to get all 32 values updated you would need to idle your engine at 40 below zero.
    Dave M vin 03572

Where's the "I like it" Button ? :-)

and where are the people that told me back then that
    they like the hunting because so they know the car is
    misadjusted or alive... ?

Well that last change I made for first start on a hot day worked good for starting the car but today a hot restart started good but would not keep running without giving it some gas. Once it ran a few seconds it was fine. So I have to modify my "fast idle" routine.

Guess I knew anyway this project was going to be a big software effort.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    03254

Have you gotten any results from the other owner yet?

Dan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast