FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Replace roof door seals

How To: Replace roof door seals

Hello is there any special way to replace the roof weatherstrip seals? I'm talking about the ones that you see when both doors are shut on the left and right sides of the t panel. I see when you open the doors there seems to be a metal piece pop riveted on. I just got a set from Rob but am not having any luck on getting info and just don't want to mess anything up. Appreciate and short cups or tips on this. Thanks

My VIN:    2706

You need 1/8 inch aluminum rivets. If your gonna leave the torsion bars in you need to cover the bar with some rubber hose, fuel line, garden hose etc to keep from nicking the torsion bar . Then you will have to use an 1/8 inch drill bit to carefull drill the rivets out. Be very careful it doesn't take much to push the drill bit into the outer door skin. It helps to put tape on the drill bit to keep yourself from going to far. Then you have to take the new rubber and old pice of stainless on a table and mark and drill the new piece of rubber. Then rivet it back in the door. It will help to have a buddy. If you close the door you will be able to slide the new seal in ...it's trial and error to get it situated just right. It's a frustrating job but take your time and it's not to bad. I think it's easier to just pull the t panel and torsion bars out but others will disagree. Pretty big job for such a simple seal.
    Last edited by powerline84; 02-19-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    You need 1/8 inch aluminum rivets. If your gonna leave the torsion bars in you need to cover the bar with some rubber hose, fuel line, garden hose etc to keep from nicking the torsion bar . Then you will have to use an 1/8 inch drill bit to carefull drill the rivets out. Be very careful it doesn't take much to push the drill bit into the outer door skin. It helps to put tape on the drill bit to keep yourself from going to far. Then you have to take the new rubber and old pice of stainless on a table and mark and drill the new piece of rubber. Then rivet it back in the door. It will help to have a buddy. If you close the door you will be able to slide the new seal in ...it's trial and error to get it situated just right. It's a frustrating job but take your time and it's not to bad. I think it's easier to just pull the t panel and torsion bars out but others will disagree. Pretty big job for such a simple seal.
    Thanks for all the info. I already have the T panel off , and my seals are torn up so it looks bad when the doors are shut. I will give it a shot. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My VIN:    2706

Your golden then man. Try it with the torsion bars in. You can do it, it just make sit a little more awkword. Wear gloves. Easy to get sliced working in there...ask me how I know lol. After assembling my door from scratch today my hands look like Edward scissor hands got to them.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

door seals

My seals have been missing for26 years, no leaks,
    don't bother....