FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Voltmeter Gauge low

My VIN:    01785

Club(s):   (DMA)

Voltmeter Gauge low

Hi. I was hoping someone could assist. I removed my Binnacle to replace the trip reset, convert to LEDs etc. I reinstalled the Binnacle and the voltmeter seems to be way off in accuracy now as well as RPMs seem a little higher than normal. When I turn on car & hit the accelerator the voltmeter stays put. The multimeter reading is 11.91v. Any suggestions?
    Steve
    #01785 '81 DeLorean, Automatic with fuel flap & Black interior

Quote Originally Posted by GR8SCOTT View Post
    Hi. I was hoping someone could assist. I removed my Binnacle to replace the trip reset, convert to LEDs etc. I reinstalled the Binnacle and the voltmeter seems to be way off in accuracy now as well as RPMs seem a little higher than normal. When I turn on car & hit the accelerator the voltmeter stays put. The multimeter reading is 11.91v. Any suggestions?
    Steve

My VIN:    03572

Have you checked the voltage with a multimeter? Does your alternator light come on with the key set on?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Have you checked the voltage with a multimeter? Does your alternator light come on with the key set on?
    I have. The multimeter reading is 11.91v with ignition off & 11.50v with ignition on. Dash battery light is not on.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Correction. Dash battery light is on when keyset is on but goes off when car is started.
    Steve

My VIN:    10353

Is that voltmeter reading at the battery terminals? I had my alternator die one day and those were about the same readings I got at the battery too. No warning, just out for a drive and my "new" alternator just gave up and left me stranded! That was like my first 2 weeks of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Is that voltmeter reading at the battery terminals? I had my alternator die one day and those were about the same readings I got at the battery too. No warning, just out for a drive and my "new" alternator just gave up and left me stranded! That was like my first 2 weeks of ownership.
    Yes it was at the battery terminals. I let the car run for a while & it seems to be making a comeback. Last check with the multimeter was 13.85v
    Steve

My VIN:    05457

Did you leave the low battery light as an incandescent or replace it with an LED as well? I'm not sure what the symptoms are with an LED for your low battery light, but your battery won't charge so I'd expect you'd see low voltage like this. The low battery light must remain incandescent.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

Normaly you should be getting 14 to 14.8 volts with the engine running and no loads turned on. Colder the voltage runs higher than when the alternator is hot.

Alternators don't usually fail intermittent. Usually a failure is sudden and permanent.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Did you leave the low battery light as an incandescent or replace it with an LED as well? I'm not sure what the symptoms are with an LED for your low battery light, but your battery won't charge so I'd expect you'd see low voltage like this. The low battery light must remain incandescent.
    +1
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast