FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My double din radio panel

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

My double din radio panel

So here is my 3d printed double din radio and climate control panel all ready for a test fit. Assuming this works the way I visioned I will make one out of metal. I'm having some difficulty getting my 3d scanner to get a good detail of the climate panel so that I can dissect it and move the parts where I need them. Until then here is a picture of just the panel, Ill try and mount it tonight and see how things fit.double din print.jpgdouble din panel .jpg

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Very cool! Im excited to see where this goes. Im working on one as well.

13921121_1350007808346062_2640747752540886991_n.jpg

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Here is the first test fit of the panel. The 3D printed part is delicate since it had to be printed in three pieces, but after installing the side plates was rather stiff. I have some minor clearance issues. The climate controls need to come up ever so slightly assuming that when I added material thickness for the 3d printer it did not affect anything. The console itself will need to be tweaked a bit as well since it has a step in it for the original panel. Since mine needs to be repaired anyway this should be no problem. The real problem is actually the simplest, How in the world do you get the center air ducts installed around those boots. lol Anyway, here is a picture I took of it last night.

radio in proto.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Very cool! Im excited to see where this goes. Im working on one as well.

13921121_1350007808346062_2640747752540886991_n.jpg

That looks, well great. I wanted to have my headlight and hazard switches still on the console. I'm using a KEnwood radio and the display opening is much smaller than the double din bezel. Almost 0.750 This obviously saved me enough room to mount the switches next too it. I ordered replacement switch labels from DMC UK so that my headlight symbol will be oriented correctly.

What are your plans with the acrylic panel? I'm thinking of printing it out of a plastic similar to soda bottles. Will be transparent to pass light, and still smooth so I can adhere a vinyl overlay for the labels and black background.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will F. View Post
    That looks, well great. I wanted to have my headlight and hazard switches still on the console. I'm using a KEnwood radio and the display opening is much smaller than the double din bezel. Almost 0.750 This obviously saved me enough room to mount the switches next too it. I ordered replacement switch labels from DMC UK so that my headlight symbol will be oriented correctly.

What are your plans with the acrylic panel? I'm thinking of printing it out of a plastic similar to soda bottles. Will be transparent to pass light, and still smooth so I can adhere a vinyl overlay for the labels and black background.

Will
    I figured your headunit must have been a bit smaller to have room on the side for switches. That would be nice to have that space but mine is a full double din unit.
    I went a different route. I ripped a HVAC panel out of an old ford f150, it wired up without too much problem. Here is a picture of it in progress before I punched out the hole for the stereo.

13879201_1349990411681135_7413017319898893348_n.jpg

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

That is pretty clever, Do you have any detailed pictures showing how you installed it? Also, is the ford vac actuated for the different positions. I thought of using a vw piece but everything on them is cable positioned.
    As for my radio, it is a standard double din, I just did not use the bezel to mount it. The bezel is what required so much extra space. Not sure why it was designed this way, perhaps for air cooling space.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will F. View Post
    That is pretty clever, Do you have any detailed pictures showing how you installed it? Also, is the ford vac actuated for the different positions. I thought of using a vw piece but everything on them is cable positioned.
    As for my radio, it is a standard double din, I just did not use the bezel to mount it. The bezel is what required so much extra space. Not sure why it was designed this way, perhaps for air cooling space.

Will
    THe ford unit is "the same" as the delorean unit in terms of the inner workings. The fan switch is electrical, the temperature is cable driven, and the mode switch is vacuum operated. The mode switch was some trial and error but I just plugged in the hoses. The fan switch worked after comparing wiring diagrams. I am still working on the temperature control. I can take a picture next time I have it apart.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Any updates on the double din installs?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I just got the latest Crutchfield catalog and now there are options where you can control your radio in a touchscreen app on your phone or Pioneer now has a remote touchscreen that you can mount anywhere so you can mount the control unit anywhere. A Double-Din adapter in the dash is no longer necessary.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Between VINs

Unless, you know, you want a Double-Din radio.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast