FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My double din radio panel

I have found a cool older radio i plan on putting in.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Pioneer now has a remote touchscreen that you can mount anywhere so you can mount the control unit anywhere.
    I'm working on an install for this radio right now (the DMH-C2550NEX). Just trying to iron out the details on the enclosure so it looks like it belongs on top of the center console.

https://imgur.com/a/8lAS3pI

I think I've outgrown Tinkercad
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

here is a mostly finished setup of my installation
    Will be installing a similar setup in a second car here in the next few months

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Wow josh, that looks nice! Do you miss your headlight and emergency flasher buttons and indicaotor lights for lock doors and defrost at all?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by adam_knox View Post
    Wow josh, that looks nice! Do you miss your headlight and emergency flasher buttons and indicaotor lights for lock doors and defrost at all?

Thats why I said "mostly finished" LOL!

I still need to work those two buttons into the shifter plate. Alternatively the middle knee pad.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I still need to make measurements, but i'm leaning towards having the temp and blower mode dials on the bottom with the two headlight and emergency flashers between them and then put the fan speed switch where the dash dimmer switch it. Otherwise headlight and emergency flasher in the two dummy switch spots. I'm maybe toying with the idea of perhaps making the horn switch on the stalk the headlight switch and then putting the horn switch on the center pad like a normal car. In the few times i've needed to hit the horn in traffic it takes me too long to remember where it is and i wind up hitting the stalk button too hard snd too late. I like the mods i've seen of the headlight switches on the kned pad, but i have long legs, so that wouldn't work for me. I've also toyed with somehow eliminating a general use headlight switch and just have the lights auto turn on when the car is running. The only time i wouldn't want them on is if for some readon i was limping home with a bad alternator or i took it to the drive in movies, so an out of the way switch would work. I just don't know if i'd want to use my headlights that much, i'd cut the bulbs lifespan in half. I actaully enjoy pressing the button to turn the headlights on, i just hate pressing it to turn it off because 2 outta 5 times i forget to turn them off and have to climb in to shut them off!

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I'm working on an install for this radio right now (the DMH-C2550NEX). Just trying to iron out the details on the enclosure so it looks like it belongs on top of the center console.

https://imgur.com/a/8lAS3pI

I think I've outgrown Tinkercad

I’m thinking about doing the same thing. Have you measured already to see if the screen would block your view looking out the windshield if you mounted it on top of the center console? Or are you planning something else? Have you put together a plan for how you would mount it? Thanks
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Have you measured already to see if the screen would block your view looking out the windshield if you mounted it on top of the center console?
    If you're taller than a toddler, it won't block your view I have dual gauge pods on the console that are just about the same height. No issues.

I'm (slowly) building a 3D printed mounting system but might get some fiberglass or laser-cut aluminum involved on the final design. I'll remove the console cover and attach the lower support to the metal stereo/vent frame. I want something that reasonably looks like it belongs, feels solid, but can be serviced in-place easily.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    If you're taller than a toddler, it won't block your view I have dual gauge pods on the console that are just about the same height. No issues.

I'm (slowly) building a 3D printed mounting system but might get some fiberglass or laser-cut aluminum involved on the final design. I'll remove the console cover and attach the lower support to the metal stereo/vent frame. I want something that reasonably looks like it belongs, feels solid, but can be serviced in-place easily.

FABombjoy, I think this is the route for me also. Would you share your design with me and perhaps get two of the brackets if you have them done somewhere? What do you think you will put in place of the radio? I suppose the hidden radio would go in there but on the surface perhaps a LED acrylic emblem or something ?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Let me see how far I can get with it. It'll probably be some time though.

In my car I'll be installing an EFI-specific gauge and controls for heated/cooled seats, so I can't be of much help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast