FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest - Euro-spec / future model headlight trims?

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

I don't want to duplicate work...

I am very happy to CAD these up and 3D print them, I usually 3D print in PET-G which I'm sure would be fine for this application.

I don't want to spend time modelling them up in CAD only to find someone has already done it (if someone has done it I will happily print a set off for free for the designer if I can then use the files) I don't have one to copy so I would have to make do with photos and measurements from my own car's fascia.

Unless anyone in the UK has one they can send me to copy? it doesn't look to be a terribly complex shape and would probably lend itself well to 3D printing.

I would probably include a slight recess in the rear so that it would be attached snugly to the fascia with weatherproof double sided adhesive foam tape, whilst relatively close to the headlight I wouldn't think it would get too hot, if not a good blob of silicone sealant would probably suffice to hold them in place and could then be removed without damaging the fascia.

James
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 09-12-2019 at 11:40 AM.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Yeah, the shape looks fairly simple. I've only put it off because I want to be sure its snug to the fascia and headlight (and fits..hehe). If course, if someone beats me to it, I wont feel bad.

Pet-g seems like a good choice. I am also considering making a mold so that it can be quicker to make more.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Yes making a mold and then casting in resin would probably be quicker, and require less finishing.

But I can't imagine that there will really be that much demand for them.

Judging by size you're probably looking at about 4 hours per pair print time? I''d probably get 4-6 pairs on my print bed.

All slightly academic as I haven't got one to copy anyway, but it looks like a fun project.

J

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Yup, 4-6 sounds about right, if the size is about what I think.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Ok so bear with me on this...

I had a few minutes this evening and so working just from a photo I found online I drew the headlight trim peice in CAD and quickly printed one out.

I have to say I was quite suprised at how good it looked especially for a 1st effort, obviously I'm just holding it in place with my hand but I'd say it looks about 90%.

**Also please note that other than about 30seconds of wet'n'dry sanding no finishing has been done, as I was out of time this evening.**

Be very interested to hear feedback and whether I should continue to refine them. I printed this in PET-G which should be fine near the headlights.

It sands and paints well and with a little effort and a few coats of paint from a rattle can you can hide the layer lines well enough.

J

Last edited by jamesrguk; 09-16-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    James Russell-Grant
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Very cool. care to share the file?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

It's not really ready for sharing, this is just a 1st shot attempt.

James Russell-Grant
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Quick update, version 2 printed and roughly finished.

Version 3 will have slightly different sized grooves to look more like the original. It will also have counter bored holes, the only way to get a reall snug fit is to screw them on with small self tapping screws so I'll get some small black screws to include in the kit.

Printed with 15% infill allows a little flexibility to fit snugly, if your fitting them you may as well fit them right. Filling 2 tiny holes with PU filler and touching them up with a drip of paint on the end of a q-tip - if for some reason you wanted to remove them - isn't a major issue.

It's how the factory were most likely going to install them anyway so it probably makes them more genuine.

I have some great textured black paint which should make them look pretty sharp.

The kit will come with nessasary screws, buyers can go that route or try whatever they like, glue etc...

I hope to have the final product installed on my car by the weekend and photographed and have limited stock with the vendor within 14 days.

J

Last edited by jamesrguk; 09-18-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    James Russell-Grant
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    Quick update, version 2 printed and roughly finished.

Version 3 will have slightly different sized grooves to look more like the original. It will also have counter bored holes, the only way to get a reall snug fit is to screw them on with small self tapping screws so I'll get some small black screws to include in the kit.

Printed with 15% infill allows a little flexibility to fit snugly, if your fitting them you may as well fit them right. Filling 2 tiny holes with PU filler and touching them up with a drip of paint on the end of a q-tip - if for some reason you wanted to remove them - isn't a major issue.

It's how the factory were most likely going to install them anyway so it probably makes them more genuine.

I have some great textured black paint which should make them look pretty sharp.

The kit will come with nessasary screws, buyers can go that route or try whatever they like, glue etc...

I hope to have the final product installed on my car by the weekend and photographed and have limited stock with the vendor within 14 days.

J

They look great. Any idea what they will cost?

Looks really good. and, yeah, got a price in mind?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast