FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Quick cleaning question

Junior Member DeloreanTeenager01's Avatar

My VIN:    03583

Quick cleaning question

Was wondering if the hood streaks are a polishing fix or a car washing fix. I'm guessing that if I wash the car it should go away, but don't really know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Mix up a bucket of Dawn dish soap and water and wash the car with a sponge and then rinse. Those streaks will all come off.

Avoid using oil-based stainless steel cleaner in the future.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    6125

There are pretty much two options when it comes to how you want to maintain the stainless. This is a bit of an oversimplification but you can either:

1. Use cleaners that remove all oil and residue from the stainless...Bar keepers friend, windex, invisible glass, etc are all designed to leave the finish squeaky clean, oil free, with no residue. The advantage here is that the metal is left completely bare and the stainless looks bright and even. There is no oil present so dust and dirt are less likely to cling and build up. Maintaining the surface completely oil free can be difficult though and finger prints tend to show up and be a chore remove.

2. Use cleaners that are oil based that keep the surface 'treated' at all times. Aerosol stainless polish, stainless polish in manual spray bottles, and other synthetic polish like 'ICE' synthetic car polish would be examples. The surface is made to be uniformly oily so the stainless is evenly colored but it tends to look a little darker. The main advantage is that oily finger prints do not show up since the surface already has a coating of oil. Dirt and dust tends to build up faster, but can be maintained by another application of polish to wipe it away.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The *best* cleaner I have found is the one the Delorean vendors sell. It is the Chemsearch GLO-SS PLUS spray can. Pricey. I don't use it a lot. For general clean-ups Windex works OK. For washing the car I use an automotive car soap (Griot's Garage) and hot water. Household detergents are usually too concentrated and it is difficult to completely rinse the soap off. For spot cleaning alcohol works too. Never use any wax on the S/S. If the streaks are very bad you may have to use a blending pad to get the surface clean. NEVER let wet leaves stay on the car. They can stain the S/S and the only way to get the stain off is to sand it out or use a blending pad.
    David Teitelbaum