FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 auto - garaged project car - Jacksonville, FL.

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

1981 auto - garaged project car - Jacksonville, FL.

Hello,

I'm selling a 1981 auto - vin 6298. $7,500. Jacksonville, FL. Buyer must pick up in Jacksonville and tow it from the storage unit. This car does not run.

I bought it in 2002. It was on the road for a few years and has been garaged ever since. I started an interior restoration as well as some other repairs and eventually it sat too long with the same gasoline. Currently, the fuel system is removed with a new pump, fuel lines, and some other parts still new in box.

Highlights

- 1981 Automatic - black dyed interior
    - Flat hood
    - ~62K miles on odometer - the engine has 5K miles since a rebuild around the year 2000; I drove it maybe 1,000 miles
    - Clean title and garaged continuously since 2002
    - SS body panels are in excellent shape; wide dealer strip
    - Frame is in good shape - always been registered in FL or TX AFAICT from various records
    - Dash is cracked and was discolored but was dyed black
    - Driver’s seat cover was replaced and original passenger seat is in good shape; dyed black.
    - Carpet is in good shape.
    - Headliner has no problems.
    - Tires are not good and need to be replaced.
    - Fuel tank has been drained and cleaned thoroughly; lines flushed with temporary pump
    - Fuel distributor needs rebuilding; injectors look bad
    - Fuel system is partially disassembled and ready for a new pump and SS braided fuel lines I purchased
    - The center console is disassembled with all parts bagged. The dash was not removed and is intact.
    - Generally, the interior and exterior of the car is not going to be the primary cost for the restoration. This will require the usual mechanical effort to deal with a car that has been stored.

I have numerous new parts (NIB) including the combo fuel pump/sender from DMCMW, complete SS fuel lines from DPI, accumulator, fuel filter, (4) disc brakes and pads, new angle drive, and new struts for doors. There’s probably more but I haven’t taken inventory yet. I have the factory radio but a 2001 era radio is currently installed. I believe I still have the original radio mounting frame but I have the DMCH variant installed to support a regular sized radio.

When the car was garaged in 2002, this is what was wrong:

- Engine ran. Had an issue starting it in the mornings if parked outside and there was condensation.
    - Needed new brake pads and rotors
    - Speedometer was not working
    - The oil pressure sending unit was leaking
    - From the PO: "Driver's side window works but makes a noise when you hold the button down after the window is closed."

This is from the ad when I bought the car:

* Automatic antenna (many Deloreans have a regular antenna mounted in a front fender, this one has an automatic antenna hidden in air vent)
    * All lights work, including the one in engine compartment.
    * Exterior looks excellent
    * Original stereo [Edit - since replaced]
    * Harada remote starter [Edit - I ordered new keys as well from DMCH]
    * New transmission
    * New spark plugs and wires
    * New fuel system: fuel pump, hoses, etc [All bad]
    * New catalytic converter
    * New radiator, hoses etc
    * New door struts
    * New rear speakers
    * New A/C compressor
    * New dryer
    * A/C converted to new freon R134a
    * Brake fluid converted to silicon

Pictures - you’ll see that just like my ad, I’ve tried to point out any flaws to avoid any surprises. On the body, the DMC Strip was removed from a damaged fender and attempted to be re-installed on the new fender. It tore.

This is a mix of older and newer photos. From 2002 and beyond, the car has been garaged and there’s no change to the exterior. Most of the engine or pictures under the car are from recent times when I was working on the fuel system. I will try to next some additional interior pictures next week because none of these are new enough. I’ll grab a picture of the mileage. It should be near 62K.

Exterior: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kzanudmi4...88SPV2R93Zd22a

Interior: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/efxfbebkn...efx5MejyluOzta

Exterior and Under: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9hd2mu1z2...HTursy2knHUe1a

Other -

It was originally sold to a man in Miami, FL by Toyota of Irving, TX in the 1980s. This was an original DeLorean dealer - #43105. I bought it from someone in Tampa, FL who owned it at least by the year 1997 and he sold it to me in 2002. It was in a front end accident in 2000 and that’s why the front fender was replaced. I could not tell there was any damage when I bought it except for the wide dealer stripe that could not be transplanted perfectly. The previous owner that did the repairs is still active in the DeLorean vendor community. I believe this was also one of the cars Walter Coe helped restore back in the day.

PM me if interested.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Is the engine currently out off the car???

My VIN:    2487

i am interessted

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1969 View Post
    Is the engine currently out off the car???
    No, the engine is intact. That's my fault for trying to include too many pictures and my inability to make the comment feature work. That was a picture from 20 years ago when it was going in.

The only parts of the car not fully installed/assembled is the fuel pump/sender combo unit, the fuel lines that were included in the DPI SS kit, I don't remember if the new fuel accumulator was installed (I think so), and the center console / radio area is not put back together. To play it safe until I can pop the hood and get more pics, assume all parts for the fuel system in the engine bay are removed and need the job completed.

Apologizes for the confusing pictures. I will fix that.

SECOND EDIT to answer some questions via PM:

- Clean title. It's a paper title from Florida. No lien holder (It's paid for). Not a salvage title. I've kept up registration and insurance since I got it.
    - I've had a local person and another in-state ask to see the car this weekend. I am trying to get out of something that would allow me to be available Sunday otherwise I will be available next Saturday and Sunday for sure.
    Last edited by Bill6298; 03-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

PM sent.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

It baffles me the car has lasted this long. If I were closer I would be ALL over this.

This car as is on ebay would easily fetch 10-12k
    Last edited by Michael; 03-02-2017 at 10:30 AM.

PM sent

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It baffles me the car has lasted this long. If I were closer I would be ALL over this.

This car as is on ebay would easily fetch 10-12k
    Roger that.

'81 Auto

Bill,

Is the car still available? I owned 7181 for years and sold it 6 years ago to satisfy unexpected financial challenges. I've missed it ever since and have been looking for another (even a project) to get my ass back into a "D".

Appreciate your reply. You can PM me at [email protected]

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    Hello,

I'm selling a 1981 auto - vin 6298. $7,500. Jacksonville, FL. Buyer must pick up in Jacksonville and tow it from the storage unit. This car does not run.

I bought it in 2002. It was on the road for a few years and has been garaged ever since. I started an interior restoration as well as some other repairs and eventually it sat too long with the same gasoline. Currently, the fuel system is removed with a new pump, fuel lines, and some other parts still new in box.

Highlights

- 1981 Automatic - black dyed interior
    - Flat hood
    - ~62K miles on odometer - the engine has 5K miles since a rebuild around the year 2000; I drove it maybe 1,000 miles
    - Clean title and garaged continuously since 2002
    - SS body panels are in excellent shape; wide dealer strip
    - Frame is in good shape - always been registered in FL or TX AFAICT from various records
    - Dash is cracked and was discolored but was dyed black
    - Driver’s seat cover was replaced and original passenger seat is in good shape; dyed black.
    - Carpet is in good shape.
    - Headliner has no problems.
    - Tires are not good and need to be replaced.
    - Fuel tank has been drained and cleaned thoroughly; lines flushed with temporary pump
    - Fuel distributor needs rebuilding; injectors look bad
    - Fuel system is partially disassembled and ready for a new pump and SS braided fuel lines I purchased
    - The center console is disassembled with all parts bagged. The dash was not removed and is intact.
    - Generally, the interior and exterior of the car is not going to be the primary cost for the restoration. This will require the usual mechanical effort to deal with a car that has been stored.

I have numerous new parts (NIB) including the combo fuel pump/sender from DMCMW, complete SS fuel lines from DPI, accumulator, fuel filter, (4) disc brakes and pads, new angle drive, and new struts for doors. There’s probably more but I haven’t taken inventory yet. I have the factory radio but a 2001 era radio is currently installed. I believe I still have the original radio mounting frame but I have the DMCH variant installed to support a regular sized radio.

When the car was garaged in 2002, this is what was wrong:

- Engine ran. Had an issue starting it in the mornings if parked outside and there was condensation.
    - Needed new brake pads and rotors
    - Speedometer was not working
    - The oil pressure sending unit was leaking
    - From the PO: "Driver's side window works but makes a noise when you hold the button down after the window is closed."

This is from the ad when I bought the car:

* Automatic antenna (many Deloreans have a regular antenna mounted in a front fender, this one has an automatic antenna hidden in air vent)
    * All lights work, including the one in engine compartment.
    * Exterior looks excellent
    * Original stereo [Edit - since replaced]
    * Harada remote starter [Edit - I ordered new keys as well from DMCH]
    * New transmission
    * New spark plugs and wires
    * New fuel system: fuel pump, hoses, etc [All bad]
    * New catalytic converter
    * New radiator, hoses etc
    * New door struts
    * New rear speakers
    * New A/C compressor
    * New dryer
    * A/C converted to new freon R134a
    * Brake fluid converted to silicon

Pictures - you’ll see that just like my ad, I’ve tried to point out any flaws to avoid any surprises. On the body, the DMC Strip was removed from a damaged fender and attempted to be re-installed on the new fender. It tore.

This is a mix of older and newer photos. From 2002 and beyond, the car has been garaged and there’s no change to the exterior. Most of the engine or pictures under the car are from recent times when I was working on the fuel system. I will try to next some additional interior pictures next week because none of these are new enough. I’ll grab a picture of the mileage. It should be near 62K.

Exterior: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kzanudmi4...88SPV2R93Zd22a

Interior: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/efxfbebkn...efx5MejyluOzta

Exterior and Under: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9hd2mu1z2...HTursy2knHUe1a

Other -

It was originally sold to a man in Miami, FL by Toyota of Irving, TX in the 1980s. This was an original DeLorean dealer - #43105. I bought it from someone in Tampa, FL who owned it at least by the year 1997 and he sold it to me in 2002. It was in a front end accident in 2000 and that’s why the front fender was replaced. I could not tell there was any damage when I bought it except for the wide dealer stripe that could not be transplanted perfectly. The previous owner that did the repairs is still active in the DeLorean vendor community. I believe this was also one of the cars Walter Coe helped restore back in the day.

PM me if interested.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by dadoc View Post
    Bill,

Is the car still available? I owned 7181 for years and sold it 6 years ago to satisfy unexpected financial challenges. I've missed it ever since and have been looking for another (even a project) to get my ass back into a "D".

Appreciate your reply. You can PM me at [email protected]

Craig
    Yup and next week we will see it on ebay for 12k

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast