FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1981 auto - garaged project car - Jacksonville, FL.

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yup and next week we will see it on ebay for 12k
    I didn't anticipate this scenario but I have received inquiries from folks who just want to buy it (without seeing it and having someone else pick it up) presumably to flip via eBay or some other auction site. It sounds like my valuation is off.

I've had some requests to snap some more recent and specific pictures. That's a fair request and I will go do that this afternoon. I know/remember the drill. Making a trip isn't always the easiest thing and more information is better.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Amazing how many lurkers venture out of the shadows for a low priced D.

As far as your price, if you want to give it away to someone so they can flip it, that's your decision.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    I didn't anticipate this scenario but I have received inquiries from folks who just want to buy it (without seeing it and having someone else pick it up) presumably to flip via eBay or some other auction site. It sounds like my valuation is off.

I've had some requests to snap some more recent and specific pictures. That's a fair request and I will go do that this afternoon. I know/remember the drill. Making a trip isn't always the easiest thing and more information is better.
    It would be reasonable & fair to yourself and others to accept offers above your asking price (if that's the direction the situation goes in.)

I sense the price on this car will get "bid up" like I've seen a few times in recent years. I called a few sellers last year who got responses from buyers offering above the listed price.

That reminds me....I need to follow up on a car that everyone thought was a scam [due to the low price] but I felt it was legit. That one had a guy from Germany offering the dude to buy sight unseen.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    I would hate to stop a genuine prospective-owner get a bargain, but equally I would hate to see someone just take advantage and simply flip it. I would suggest Bill checks out other threads in the "for sale" forum as well as BHCC and ebay

Or, as Rich says, if you have multiple offers at asking price, ask for their "best price". It's how real estate sales often work too.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I would hate to stop a genuine prospective-owner get a bargain, but equally I would hate to see someone just take advantage and simply flip it. I would suggest Bill checks out other threads in the "for sale" forum as well as BHCC and ebay

Or, as Rich says, if you have multiple offers at asking price, ask for their "best price". It's how real estate sales often work too.
    Yeah - I will figure out a fair way to part with my DeLorean. I would like to see someone who wants to restore it get a good fair price but of course I don't want to lose a ton of value myself because of my own poor research. Most of us don't get into this for the profit. Honestly, I don't remember what I paid because I traded another car at the same time. I don't even want to do the math on how much I've paid on insurance, my garage rental fee at my apartment, and now the storage unit. :-)

If I could physically do the work myself, I would not part with it. I would have finished the fuel system job because now that I think about it... that job was almost done. I think I just needed to get the distributor rebuilt and that was the last expensive item regarding the fuel. If I had a lot of disposable money, I would send it off to fix the problems caused by letting it sit. I'm afraid that could be a very expensive option and it's an easy 2K+ roundtrip shipping just to find out.

Uploading some recent pics shortly for those who asked.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Updated Pics

Current Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3ih23tidq...oLs5J12tYU4Vza

As I said before, the center console and radio area is removed. I have all the parts bagged. Putting it back together isn't that bad and nothing like dealing with the dashboard. The headliner is still in good shape. I didn't see any sagging and nothing has ever been ripped since I've owned it. Reproduction dashes were not available back when I dyed it from gray to black. Plus, I did not want the hassle of taking it out. It could use some touch up but I know I either have the exact bottle or picture of the stuff for an exact match.

I think the frame is actually good. I could not see it (too dark) without looking through my iPhone but the only rust I saw were on non-frame items. I assume keeping it from being stored outside helped.

Edit - the haze on the stainless steel is pollen.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't mind the banter, but unnecessary comments have been deleted. Guys if you don't have something constructive or nice to say, please don't ruin the for sale ad with cut downs.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    6100,0707

Delorean for Sale

Hi, Tom from Ireland. Would be interested in buying your Delorean. Let me know if its still for sale... Regards

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Thread has no less than 7 members interested, some who have been here for years never posted anything, others joining just to grab it...bunch of BHCC vultures, wholesale buyers and the like. None of these people are going to restore this one, they are going to make a quick buck off your extremely low priced car by flipping or parting out, whatever gets them money the quickest.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

But then I came along Michael. I will truly save this carat all costs if afforded the opportunity.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast