FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Two Rescued Deloreans from a long hibernation

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'm totally going to buy that & put it on my car.
    We just need to mod that 2100 for blow-thru and you'll be golden
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    00879 and 10903

I will try to get some pictures of the turbo underneath this weekend. I'm surprised the ad for the turbo kit was found. I was wondering who marketed the kit. The one bottle mounted in the engine compartment is for the water injection and it is controlled by an Edlebrock controller. The car also has a pump installed to oil the turbo after shutdown, which is located on the drivers side corner of the engine compartment.
    It would be neat to find out where this car originated. I tried to look up the pinstripe's name on the rear of the car and the only place I could find was a paint shop in Texas.

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I don't understand why all Delorean turbo kits were not blow through. Simple install. The CIS auto metered the extra air coming in. This is the way I always envisioned doing a turbo to mine if I go the route.

Will

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Will F. View Post
    I don't understand why all Delorean turbo kits were not blow through. Simple install. The CIS auto metered the extra air coming in. This is the way I always envisioned doing a turbo to mine if I go the route.
    I think there was concern about leaning out as the pressure differential across the metering plate starts to equalize under boost. The one advantage to draw-thru that you don't need a recirc or BOV so you save some cost there.

From what I've seen, most stock K-Jet turbo cars place the metering head pre-turbo but that would be challenging with our intake design. Air would have to leave the meter, feed the turbo, and then come back from the turbo to meet the throttle body. The BAE & Island kits feature some primitive engineering so it's not surprising that they never pursued a blow-thru design.

Legend even experimented with draw-thru on some of their early prototypes but switched to blow-through and used some creative vacuum switches and the CPR for enrichment.

Nowadays you could use a digital WUR and accomplish the same thing and tune it via software.
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 03-08-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by tylka View Post
    It would be neat to find out where this car originated. I tried to look up the pinstripe's name on the rear of the car and the only place I could find was a paint shop in Texas.
    The DeLorean Museum has original sales info for many, but not all cars.

http://www.deloreanmuseum.org/info-on-your-vin.html

May be a starting point.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It looks like Mr Ward was very active back in the 80's. I wonder just how many turbo kits he managed to sell, this is the first one I have seen. I went back and looked at my old DW's and yes, that's IT! He also sold some other products too. Probably most of them wound up on the West Coast to local owners. In those early issues BAE and Island also advertised and those seemed to have become the most popular turbos kits. While the Ward kit had an intercooler he was pushing things at 7lbs boost! At 6 lbs and no intercooler you will blow out the pistons pretty quickly.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

In another co-incidence, I was just reading the July 2016 issue of C&D which featured the "New" water injection system on the new twin-turbo'd BMW M4 GTS, said to add ~60HP, just from the lower temps from the water injection

http://www.m-power.com/_open/s/edito...d=3375&lang=en

"First production Road Car" to have this feature apparently.

Also costs $135k and has a titanium exhaust. Titanium !
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I would remove the T roof and doors to see how bad it really is. From the pics it dont look that bad?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post

"First production Road Car" to have this feature apparently.

Also costs $135k and has a titanium exhaust. Titanium !

The first Turbo street cars, the Corvairs had a primitive water injection system too, alcohol injection.

Also titanium exhaust isn't that rare, C5 corvette Zo6s had titanium cat back exhaust in 2001.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Any updates on this project? It would be great to see pictures of the restoration car. :-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4