FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why are my bolts loose?

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

Thin socket worked. All torqued to 30 ftlbs. Left side was already at 30 ftlbs. Thanks all!
    John

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Before I switched to socket head cap screws, I always used a 3/8" drive 10mm socket to take the bolts out and in. A 1/2" drive socket is usually a little too thick.

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

The bolts are 17mm

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    A socket won't fit. You can use a crows foot or replace the bolts with "Allen" head.

I had to use a crows foot with an impact wrench to get mine out.
    The tool truck sourced sockets...Snap-on, Mac, Matco etc will fit. Incidently a crows foot with an impact does not sound like very safe idea unless you as quick off the trigger as on!
    Rob

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The tool truck sourced sockets...Snap-on, Mac, Matco etc will fit. Incidently a crows foot with an impact does not sound like very safe idea unless you as quick off the trigger as on!
    Rob
    Yes it has to be a quick trigger. As soon as you see it move then a wrench worked. I tried a lower pressure but it did not work and had to go back to 90 PSI.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you do use a "crow's foot" to tighten ANY bolt you must calculate the change in lever arm and change the torque setting accordingly. Torque settings are for sockets centered over the attachment point of the torque wrench. The other problem will be if you are not careful the crows foot will just slide right off the head.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

When the cars were much newer it was somewhat common to encounter an axle that had loose bolts. I'm guessing the factory spec of 30lb's was on the light side so erhaps that's the explanation. Based on my experience I would guess that a spec of about 37lb's would have you in the correct ballpark. That is also the size and factory spec of some of the transmission case bolts. Although I tighten these particular bolts by feel rather than spec the steel flanges are rather forgiving of a little extra torque. I don't ever recall finding a stripped axle thread.

My VIN:    03572

My bolts were very tight even after I got them started loose. Had to use a wrench to get each bolt all the way out. So I chased the threads with a tap and then the bolts could be started finger tight.

Not sure if all the cars are the same but that would result in less real torque on the bolts than your torque wrench is set for.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2