FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Charging and starting issues

My VIN:    02530

Charging and starting issues

Hey everyone,

My name is Kevin and I am a new owner and new to the forum.

I've had my face buried into my computer screen for the past couple of weeks reading all kinds of threads on here and all of the knowledge and advice is awesome. I have been having a difficult time figuring out some of my electrical issues. First issue is my starter will crank just fine probably 50% of the time. Today I was able to start the car 6 times in a row but after that I just get clicking from the relay and no crank. I can attempt to start it 15-20 times before it will crank again... then sometimes its works fine and sometimes not at all. The circuit update for #2547 and under has already been done which is what has me scratching my head. I cleaned the battery terminals as well as the connections to the starter. Thoughts on just replacing the starter?

Second issue is a charging issue. I am wondering if these two are related? Battery is brand new and holds a solid 12.6-12.9 volts. The only dash light that come on is the door light. Nothing else comes on when I turn the key. When the car starts it will run between 8-9 volts, runs rough with low voltage until it dies, However when I put the car on the charger it runs fine obviously. When I remove the charger and I rev the engine it will begin to charge on its own, its like the alternator needs to wake up but then it's totally fine until I shut it off again. However it will only charge at about 13 volts which I know is too low. My #5 fuse has power on both sides so I know the problem isn't there. Do I tear out the instrument panel and check the bulb? Are there any other dash lights that should light up when the key is in the on position beside the battery?

Any help appreciated. - Kevin #02530
    Last edited by KTwaffles02; 03-08-2017 at 07:06 PM.

My VIN:    3937

Sounds like an issue with the battery light on the instrument panel to me. If you turn the key to accessories and it doesn't light up, your battery won't charge. Solving this may also solve your starter issue or it may not. The battery bulb issue must be solved first.

If you have hands small enough you might be able to reach behind and change it. You're likely going to need to remove the binnacle if you're new to all of this, if only to familiarize yourself with what it is you're trying to reach back there.

Make sure a good incandescent bulb is in that battery spot. An LED will not work.

Lights that should come on in accessories are:

Battery
    Oil (no engine running means no oil pressure)
    Probably the door ajar light because you've got the door open while you're doing this
    Fuel light only if low on fuel
    Brake light possibly if your parking brake is engaged, typical for standard trans car

The only one of utmost importance to be on is that battery light.

Welcome aboard goodship DeLorean btw too!!
    Last edited by Jonathan; 03-08-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    16409

All of the above is good info. Also check the wiring on your alternator. Verify what type of alternator you have. The original Motorola and most replacement alternators use a single wire that feeds the battery light in the dash. Verify that is wired up correctly.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Hi Kevin, welcome!
    About the lights on the dash, I had a similar problem when I got my car, all warning lights of the right side wasn't working. So I took off the binnacle and discovered that the right side plug was unplugged.
    The turning lights wasn't working, so I cleaned the contacts and everything works now!
    About the battery, it may be your battery bulb that must be replaced or has a bad contact.
    Removing the binnacle is simple, there's a how to guide to do it.
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...b-Replacement&
    https://youtu.be/4DUdLIkTvgg
    It's not difficult, but it's easier if you remove the drivers seat.

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You have good info to follow up on re the alternator. As for the starter, you probably have a bad solenoid on the starter or the starter has a dead spot. Pull the starter and have it serviced.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Was composing this while David gave a good answer on the starter.

Good help so far on the charging issue.

The starting issue is probably unrelated to that because you say it cranks just fine half the time.

The fix is to at least replace the solenoid. Sounds like your starter is fine - otherwise it would never 'crank just fine'. You have to remove the starter (with attached solenoid) in any case so you can at least get to the solenoid. Or you can replace the starter which includes a solenoid. It is more expensive but simpler overall than fooling with the solenoid.

The starter has a solenoid that pulls in a contact bar to get voltage to the starter motor when you turn the key. It's like a giant relay. When that contact bar eventually is worn/burnt enough it won't always crank the starter - but sometimes it will. On a 'bad try' it just clicks back there and nothing happens. Later it can work normally. The frequency of the 'bad tries' gets worse and worse til it almost never works.

Ours gave out the way yours did about 15 yrs ago. I put in a replacement solenoid and that (original) starter has been fine ever since.

Somebody can tell us if anybody is selling OE type starter solenoid kits these days.

Quote Originally Posted by KTwaffles02 View Post
    First issue is my starter will crank just fine probably 50% of the time. Today I was able to start the car 6 times in a row but after that I just get clicking from the relay and no crank. I can attempt to start it 15-20 times before it will crank again... then sometimes its works fine and sometimes not at all. The circuit update for #2547 and under has already been done which is what has me scratching my head. I cleaned the battery terminals as well as the connections to the starter. Thoughts on just replacing the starter?
    Last edited by Rich; 03-08-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior