FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Restoration candidate?

My VIN:    04688

Restoration candidate?

Hello all,

I stumbled upon this listing on Hemmings: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...l#&gid=1&pid=5
    It pains me to see a Delorean in a scrap yard for what appears to be a little body damage.
    Do you think this D would be a good restoration candidate? It looks like the entire right side would need to be replaced, and it looks like the infamous left front quarter panel would need to be replaced as well. I'm no expert but I would love your opinions.
    Thanks!
    Larry

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My VIN:    6585

Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Wow. What a terrible scenario.
    It must be a nightmare for owners. Thanks for the info.

My VIN:    10309

You know the engine/transmission and frame are all good. There is probably some hidden damage to the suspension front and rear. If you got it for $2500 it would always be worth twice that in parts. If it's at IAAI it is probably going as a rebuilt/salvage title so that greatly reduces the price once it's repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    You know the engine/transmission and frame are all good. There is probably some hidden damage to the suspension front and rear. If you got it for $2500 it would always be worth twice that in parts. If it's at IAAI it is probably going as a rebuilt/salvage title so that greatly reduces the price once it's repaired.
    How much would a rebuild title lower the value versus a standard title? Half?? I'm thinking that there is at least 10k just in body panels alone yet alone any suspension/other gremlins. My main worry is the crumple zones in the front since the article said it did take an impact there.

I know all about the "30k rule" and I've seen so many posts about having to sell due to running out of money. I just wonder if there was a way.

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

You won't get that car for 2500$. It will bring in the 10k range no problem. Easy fix

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by tianlung4028 View Post
    How much would a rebuild title lower the value versus a standard title?
    That is an impossible question to answer. It definitely will lower the value, because as soon as the majority of people see "rebuild title", they will run away. Or at least try and use that as leverage against you. Which kinda makes sense, because they'll be in the same boat of having a hard sell if they ever try and sell that car.

A rebuilt title of course is supposed to mean a previous salvage title due to excessive damage, but doesn't differentiate between that and catastrophic damage either. So if you purchase a car with a salvage title, aside from the question of *IF* you can rebuild it in the first place which lends itself to a very lengthy inspection, your big responsibility is going to be documenting the entire process.

Even on a car with a clean title, you are supposed to do your due diligence and inspect for things like rust & collision damage, yes. But even so, those are but mere wear and tear items. A salvage-cum-rebuilt title can be so much worse, because you have to look for flood damage, catastrophic collision damage that destroys the entire inherent safety of the car. Sure you might look for things like minor collision damage with a regular title, but it's still replaceable items (like suspension for example) that do not threaten the overall safety of the vehicle. Rebuilt can mean hidden damage that you cannot see. So if you rebuild a car, you need to make damn certain that you document the entire process as much as possible. With a car like this for example, you need to pull body panels and inspect the underbody for cracks. Then you need to have photographic evidence that either no cracks exist, or if present, you properly repaired them. Rise/repeat this constantly for everything on the car. Then present this as part of your sales pitch when you go to sell the car.

If you're flipping cheap econoboxes to desperate people who need a car, rebuilt titles aren't a problem. But when you're putting serious money on the line, they're not easy to flip. You either need to be a long-term owner, or you need to establish some serious trust with a buyer who is going to become a long-term owner.

Again, I cannot say how much a rebuilt title is going to depreciate the value of the car. But I can certainly say that the documentation process will definitely eat up allot of time out of your budget.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    But I can certainly say that the documentation process will definitely eat up allot of time out of your budget.
    Kind of like reading your Herman Melville length posts?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Rebuilt title requirements and inspections differ considerably from State to State. While I agree that a previous salvage title can impact issues such as loan value and insurance, there are generally some different criteria that apply to specialty vehicles such as DeLoreans and other older rare cars that are no longer subject to market factors such as depreciation.

In many instances a salvage / rebuilt titled DeLorean might be better than a DeLorean with a clear title. Notably, I would rather have a nice Delorean with a rebuilt title than a clear title basketcase Delorean that has sat in a field for 20 years with a rotten frame.

In summary, I wouldn't purchase a salvage title car as an investment. But I wouldn't let a car's title status dissuade me from buying it as a potential driver.

PS: It's hard to tell from the pictures, is there any damage to that hood?
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

So when is the auction? There isnt any info I can find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast