FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Window not closing right

My VIN:    10907

Window not closing right

A fairly minor problem at the moment, but my driver's side window doesn't close all the way. There's a slight gap at the front corner by the mirror, and the rest of it is obviously not closed all the way since I can see the edge of the tint below the top of the drop glass frame. Is there an easy fix for this? It's not supposed to rain and it's cool enough that I can tape plastic over it and leave it closed if necessary but I'd prefer it to work correctly. I was planning on installing the inner wipe seals when I got home anyway so if it's going to involve taking the door apart I'll limp it with plastic, but anybody have any other ideas? I already tried wiggling the glass around but obviously I didn't want to push it too hard.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If you wiggle it while operating the button will it align again? Mine deosnt seem to want to align the rear guide correctly, Toby said it may have slipped int eh carrier thing a bit.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    A fairly minor problem at the moment, but my driver's side window doesn't close all the way. There's a slight gap at the front corner by the mirror, and the rest of it is obviously not closed all the way since I can see the edge of the tint below the top of the drop glass frame. Is there an easy fix for this? It's not supposed to rain and it's cool enough that I can tape plastic over it and leave it closed if necessary but I'd prefer it to work correctly. I was planning on installing the inner wipe seals when I got home anyway so if it's going to involve taking the door apart I'll limp it with plastic, but anybody have any other ideas? I already tried wiggling the glass around but obviously I didn't want to push it too hard.
    Your power glass has fallen off the front guide. It needs to be removed and reset on the tracks. The perfect time to do that is when you're replacing the inner wipe seal as the metal support bar holding it has to be removed for either procedure. We usually install an aluminum rivot by the plastic guide finger when resetting the glass on the track to keep the glass from falling off the guide again. I've detailed that procedure several times in this forum before.

Rob D - yeah, I tried pushing and pulling on it from every possible angle, but I gather from other threads on this issue that brute force doesn't work.

Rob G - I've been trying to find your posts to no avail. Are they in the archives? Is there a more specific term I should search for than window/track/guide/glass/rivet?

I've just been putting masking tape over the gap at night to keep the dew and bugs out.

Just wondered as mine will be out of alignment to a point, but I can guide it back into place.

Was also looking for those threads (admit i may not be searching the right stuff).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Okay I'm starting on it now. I got the upper interior door panel off, and now this black metal part needs to come off?

IMG_20170411_150300.jpg

This is what I'm seeing in there: IMG_20170411_163911.jpg

I'm guessing that the front part of that white plastic piece (carrier?) is supposed to fit around that upright black metal piece (is that the guide?)? I found that if it was about halfway up I could pull up on the forward part of the glass and it would move so that it was more level, and if I kept pressure on it from the inside I could get it to close without the gap between the glass and the edge (although I think it might still have been a little off b/c I could still see the clear edges around the tint). However if I put it back down and then didn't hold it exactly right, it would come out of alignment again.

Is there a way to fix it without taking the whole rest of the door apart?

Also does anybody have Rob's how-to referenced above? I've had no luck with either the search on here or the Google.

Yeah, looks like yours is off the track a bit.....

20170411_163042.jpg

Mine actually has the opposite issue...doest meet up with the rear guide.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

And another thing, I noticed the guide rail was kind of wobbly when the window went up and down, is that normal?

Mine dont wobble, so I assume its not normal (though I could be wrong...hehe)
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast