FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Exterior door handle broke. How hard is it?

My VIN:    1597

Wow thanks good stuff.
    I don't think Texas has even shipped my order yet so no rush.No where in the car I have not been and iirc 10mm were all in the dash and I should have everything. Thanks again..
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    4519

Here's a video I made of the procedure I use. I was recording with one hand while working with the other, so it's not very smooth:

Last edited by Rich_NYS; 03-12-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Appears to be something I have done many times except I use very creative, emotional language that makes my pets go into hiding. Maybe thats something I can offer the community is "Things to never say around your Delorean." Example.. "This should only take 15 minutes."
    Thanks, just waiting on parts.

Exclamation

I see some things never change. After sitting on my hands a week seeing "not yet shipped" from Houston, I called and was told they are on back order and it will be 3+ months. Thats nice to know. Told they usually send a email and if I wanted to WAIT 3 months or when they arrived. What the hell? This reminds me of another vendor NOT the main DMC head quarters. You really do need to hold hands and verify every thing you do.
    I remember once waiting 2 wks and finding out a order well over $1000 was held up over some bolts.
    Anyways I know where to get em and have gave them the entire order. Its been a while since I ordered anything but I should have known *ALWAYS CALL*. Verify everything in is stock and if something is not, CALL ME.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 03-13-2017 at 05:48 PM.

My VIN:    03572

I have two new metal door handles I've been holding for when my OEM ones break. If that's what you need, I can send them to you if you replace them when they are back in stock.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Hey man long time. You are always there to save me..

Thanks but I ordered them from someone I knew had them and that what upsets me is I should have went through them in the 1st place.
    I am kinda numb to this kinda crap after so long.

First warm day so I tackled it and "knocks on real wood not that particle crap" went so smooth it made me nervous.
    1st off, BUY the spring loaded claw thingie with the sharp grabbers. Its one of those tools that pays for itself in one job. This is that job. Loosen the bolts but don't be tempted to go to far. Grab it, finish it off and done.
    I then was able to push the assembly out the hole enough to take off and reattach the cable to the new handle. I would go ahead and buy another spare cable unless it would not bother you if the original broke and you had to place another order.
    My only question and why I am leaving the side panel off for now is how tight are the bolts put back on. My originals came off real easy which on the Delorean is a blessing. The assembly feels tight,works well so I leave it. that said, I can still tighten them but they give me the impression of the type that keep going until something breaks.
    So, with a claw grabber, one of those head mounted lights to see, and 10mm with extension it was a 1 out of 5 on the D scale.
    To drop a bolt, have one not come off or break a old cable head off that simply slides into the handle and catches it could easily jump to a 2 or 3.
    Thanks to all that helped. I think I will wait on the passenger handle as I rarely have passengers and when I do I open/shut the door.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Glad it all worked out for you Jim
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3