FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Exterior door handle broke. How hard is it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    1597

Exterior door handle broke. How hard is it?

Long time guys but today I shut the door and it snagged the car cover. I flicked the driv side handle and it broke leaving the door cockeyed. Luckily it opens/closes fine but you must reach in and use the arm rest handle. The break appears to be the forward part of the handle as i can see the break where it obviously attached to something.
    Question- Ron and I have done everything to this car that can be done and I have left blood in those doors replacing window lifts. That said I am now partially disabled due to 3 ruined lower back disc so the hardcore bending,laying on floors,hands over my head for periods of time is out. The DMC add makes it seem like replacing the handles with the new and improved is so easy a Gov employee could do it.
    Is this true????? Anyone have the actual instructions on pdf or is there a "How to" so I can judge if its within my ability. Also anything else to get "while I am at it' Also, what is the part number for these "screws/bolts" that are easy to lose within the door? I would like to grab a few cause i know I will.
    If not, its time for a road trick up into the NC mountains just as the pollen hits.
    BTW- Vin 1597, Thanks, Jim in SC.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 03-07-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Replacing the door handle isn't that hard. You must get inside the door to do it and you may have to make a minor adjustment. Recommended you do both sides. One way to make it easier to do is to make a short piece of wire about 12" long with an "S" hook on one end and a loop on the other. Sitting on the sill with your feet on the floor you hook it over the rear striker pin and snag the door in one of the bolt holes for the door guide. Now you can sit comfortably while you chop your hands up inside the door. Or you can cover the edges with some duct tape.
    David Teitelbaum

Hey Thanks. Knew it was a matter of time. Hell 'I had a 2008 Mustang door handle break off in my hand so 1981 is not that bad.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I must say that I found it quite a PITA.

It's held on with two nuts that are installed from inside the door. The first one went on easy but it took forever to get the second on as you have to do it blind. Kept dropping it inside the door. A short socket with tape holding the nut on helped enormously.

That or finding someone with small hands.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Well I have left a lot of my dna in those doors and some creative sentences for any future poor bastard who has to get in there. Look like it will,be me. If I had to replace the window motors again I would seriously replace them with clean lexan or plexiglass.No way I would go though that again. BTW- Which bolt or bolts parts # are the ones that I "will" drop so I can order a few to have around?
    Pollen has kicked in so its good time as ever to keep the car indoors. Any other info, diagrams, experiences,pictures, 3 foot tall mechanics with small hands etc feel free to post them.

My VIN:    6585

It's easy. Just put a daub of axle grease in a socket to hold the nuts in place when you go to bolt the new handle up. Also, don't over-torque them on the new handle.

Be aware however that you may need to adjust the cable that connects to the bellcrank afterwards. Again, very simple, but be aware of it.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Edit for DMCVEGAS- The part that broke was the drivers side front plastic arm. I have not had time to stare at a exploded view other than the parts but whatever the fron was connected to is where it snapped. I am wanting to verify which screw you guys are talking about so /i can grab a few. I listed a link below. Thanks for your your info.

Knock on wood. Been a while since I stared at the DMC site. Did they ever improve the Inner door seal or is it still like warm bubble gum and tears if you look at it wrong? Also, still wondering about that screw that everyone says is a pita so i can order a few. https://store.delorean.com/p-6660-aeronut-m6.aspx Is that it?
    Other than a few fir tree snap ons and the 2 handles hopefully thats it. But as you know until you get in there you never know what to expect.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 03-07-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    BTW- Which bolt or bolts parts # are the ones that I "will" drop so I can order a few to have around?
    http://store.delorean.com/p-9487-ext...or-handle.aspx

The picture doesn't show it but there are two studs cast into the back of the handle. For me, it was the nuts that go on the studs that I had trouble with. No idea what size they are but when you get your handles you can work it out - Home Depot etc will have them.

As mentioned above, don't over tighten as you will snap the studs off.
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Glad it all worked out for you Jim
    Dermot