FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Exterior door handle broke. How hard is it?

My VIN:    1597

Great info guys, Thanks alot. You are giving me much needed encouragement to tackle this since my back went out. Simple task as jacking the car doing a look over, bending over the engine to check connections are now extremely difficult. Appreciate the positive comments.
    YES. I have every magnet go getter known to man. My valley of death has been into many,many times. I am going to do a good walk around and pad my order as if I need any encouragement. I am just GLAD it was not the torsion bar. I have seen 2 go, one back in 1982 my father owned and another at a show.
    Sit on my hands and plan to order Sun night.

PS Powerline- My DNA is all in those doors. I completely took the interior out and covered it with sound proofing. Been in the doors more than I care to remember. Latest was about 2 yrs ago when both window assy were replaced. I would rather have a root canal done through my ear than do that job again.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 03-07-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    BTW- Which bolt or bolts parts # are the ones that I "will" drop so I can order a few to have around?
    http://store.delorean.com/p-9487-ext...or-handle.aspx

The picture doesn't show it but there are two studs cast into the back of the handle. For me, it was the nuts that go on the studs that I had trouble with. No idea what size they are but when you get your handles you can work it out - Home Depot etc will have them.

As mentioned above, don't over tighten as you will snap the studs off.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Ok so the nuts do not come with it? Maybe I can rob the old ones off if they fit.
    I get need to get up in there are see how this contraption works. If its like anything else I have delt with it will be in the worst possible location, blind, insane angles, require safety procedures, and require the use of words I have not used in a while but they will come to me, often and at loud volumes. The neighbors know about the car and are accustomed to it. I have not had a drink in 10 years but now might be a good time to start. hahhaha, I always overthink and stress.

My VIN:    4519

I replaced both of mine....very easy.

With the upper door panel off, you can see the backside of the handle and the two nuts the hold it on.

I loosen the nuts with a 1/4 drive socket w/extension, then use a "grabber" tool to grab the nut and spin it off...no worries about dropping it in the door, and no reaching into the door.

Installation is the reverse [of course.]

My door panels are currently off....I can take pics as needed.

My VIN:    6585

Edit for DMCVEGAS- The part that broke was the drivers side front plastic arm. I have not had time to stare at a exploded view other than the parts but whatever the fron was connected to is where it snapped. I am wanting to verify which screw you guys are talking about so /i can grab a few. I listed a link below. Thanks for your your info.

Knock on wood. Been a while since I stared at the DMC site. Did they ever improve the Inner door seal or is it still like warm bubble gum and tears if you look at it wrong? Also, still wondering about that screw that everyone says is a pita so i can order a few. https://store.delorean.com/p-6660-aeronut-m6.aspx Is that it?
    Other than a few fir tree snap ons and the 2 handles hopefully thats it. But as you know until you get in there you never know what to expect.
    Assuming you are looking @ part 25 on on Section 8-4-1 for the Door Mechanism, yes, that is the one (it's a common part number, and just clicking that link leads to other random sections of DMCH's Parts Site). You reuse those nuts on the new door handles.

Replacing the door handles for myself was very easy. I just had to pop the upper door trim off and had at it. I also was able to do with with the door closed, sitting in the seat. And the reason being was because I placed a dollop of axle grease inside of the socket to hold the nut in place while I screwed it in. If you don't, the repair can be a very frustrating experience to be sure as you keep dropping the nut inside of the door, and have to keep opening it and re-positioning yourself to fish it out.

Connecting the External Door Handle to the Bell Crank is a steel cable inside of a plastic sheath. You may very well have to readjust this cable. I know I did. What you may also want to do is clean that cable out and re-lubricate it. Wash it with WD-40 (if you live in a dusty area), and then spray it inside with some grease to fill the tube. Otherwise you can run the risk of preloading the Bell Crank. When that happens you'll have your rear latch disengage while your front one stays in place because the internal locks are binding the latch up. If that ever happens, just press the Interior Door Handle DOWN to reset the latch assemblies and the door will unlock and open right up.

Just remember to only work on one door at a time, and at least leave the other window rolled down so you can get back in.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Its been a while since I needed you guys but THANKS. I really mean that. I am going to order Sun night Julie or James flip a coin and get her done.
    Pictures you say? I love pictures fell free to post away as i am sure this will become a good source of info as I plan to post my progress and well as any blood I leave behind. I did contact my buddy who is going to drop by and help. He has rather big hands but smart as hell.
    Attached Images

~snip~He has rather big hands but smart as hell.

In case my post was overlooked by everyone talking about grease, tape, and cut hands:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    ~snip~
    I loosen the nuts with a 1/4 drive socket w/extension, then use a "grabber" tool to grab the nut and spin it off...no worries about dropping it in the door, and no reaching into the door.
    ~snip~.

If I get a chance tonight I'll get pics.

Yeah I am not ordering until sun so it will be probably late next wk/weekend.
    So far today the lawnmower will not start, blew out a ceiling fan light fixture and the sink faucet will not stop dripping so i am not getting near the car.

BTW What size are these nuts? Getting together all my tools "been a while". I do have lots of extensions from dealing with dash work and the usually grabber tools,magnetic wands. Just want to know the socket size, deep,shallow etc. Sure I have it finding them is usually the most frustrating part.

I took pics and attempted a video of my "grabber tool" method for the door handle nuts.

10mm nuts on the back of the door handle:

IMG_1a.jpg

I use a 1/4 drive with extension to loosen (but not remove) the nuts. Sometimes it's necessary to try the grabber, then use the socket a bit more until it's loose enough:

IMG_2a.jpg
    IMG_2b.jpg

Use the grabber tool to finish removing the nut:

IMG_3a.jpg
    IMG_4a.jpg
    IMG_5a.jpg

I've used this method multiple times, for different parts in the door and other hard to reach places. No reaching in the door, no dropped nuts..etc. It works great, but for some reason whenever I post it the conversation goes on about using tape or grease and how you need to be careful not to drop anything in the door....choose whatever method works for you.

If I can edit my video without too much hassle I'll post a link.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 03-12-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast