FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Craig radio powers on, but no sound...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    6472

Craig radio powers on, but no sound...

My Craig is out of the car and I connected it to a power source and a speaker to test it out. It powers on, the display works fine and all the buttons work, but I can't get any sound from the unit. For full disclosure, all fault lies with me and not the Craig, because sometime last year I (like a dumbass) hooked up the unit to a car battery with + and - backwards which I'm guessing probably fried the internal amp. When it happened, I heard a small pop, smelled some burning and then there was no power from the unit. Before this happened last year, the unit worked fine and had sound. Since then, I replaced some of the caps and soldered in new wires and now the display works fine again, but I don't hear any audio.

Has anybody had this exact issue before and fixed it, and could point me down the right path as far as what to look for/replace? I'm hoping it's a simple case of removing a small part and soldering in a new one. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Impossible to troubleshoot this one over the Internet. Sounds like you fried the output transistors but who knows. Your best bet is to send it out to a shop that repairs radios. It isn't that expensive but the Craig isn't worth spending much on anyway. If originality isn't important to you this may be a good time to upgrade. DIN panels can be obtained to fit modern radios. Look at Crutchfield.com and replace the 4 speakers and the wiring.
    David Teitelbaum

Well I could repair it but ... "other side of the world" explains a lot I guess ?!?

Stay original if possible, it keeps the value up.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    My Craig is out of the car and I connected it to a power source and a speaker to test it out. It powers on, the display works fine and all the buttons work, but I can't get any sound from the unit. For full disclosure, all fault lies with me and not the Craig, because sometime last year I (like a dumbass) hooked up the unit to a car battery with + and - backwards which I'm guessing probably fried the internal amp. When it happened, I heard a small pop, smelled some burning and then there was no power from the unit. Before this happened last year, the unit worked fine and had sound. Since then, I replaced some of the caps and soldered in new wires and now the display works fine again, but I don't hear any audio.

Has anybody had this exact issue before and fixed it, and could point me down the right path as far as what to look for/replace? I'm hoping it's a simple case of removing a small part and soldering in a new one. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    One of my customers is an electrical engineer who recently repaired an ASI that had fried output transisters and could do the same to your Craig unit. If you're interested PM me but keep in mind he will be away next week on vacation.
    Rob

My VIN:    6472

Thanks for the suggestions. I have disassembled the Craig and trying to find something inside that looks like an output transistor (I googled it to see what they look like). Also looking in the downloaded Craig manual to try and identify all the little parts.

Does anybody know where the output transistors are located on the unit? I'm fairly confident I can fix this, I just don't know where and what to look for exactly.