FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vented Front Brakes - Miata

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I'm interested too. I am about to start a complete overhaul of my front suspension and have purchased:
    • DMCEU's SS LCA
    • DMCEU's polyurethane bushings
    • DriveStainless's adjustable ride height springs and adjustable dampening for the shocks
    • New balljoints, tie rod ends etc

The only thing remaining on my list is to settle on which alternative to go with for the upgraded brakes so the above research provides an interesting alternative and comes at a good time. Keep me in the loop!
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I really appreciate the interest guys. I will be sending parts out to Clint here shortly so we can get the testing in motion. I look forward to hear his findings.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I'm interested too. I am about to start a complete overhaul of my front suspension and have purchased:
    • DMCEU's SS LCA
    • DMCEU's polyurethane bushings
    • DriveStainless's adjustable ride height springs and adjustable dampening for the shocks
    • New balljoints, tie rod ends etc

The only thing remaining on my list is to settle on which alternative to go with for the upgraded brakes so the above research provides an interesting alternative and comes at a good time. Keep me in the loop!
    That will be a pretty awesome suspension setup. I have heard very good things about Matt's coilovers.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

A question on the subject of DMCEU's vented rotors:

Ed offers three Power Brake Kits - all with vented rotors for the front.

Now, Brake Kits #2 and #3 clearly come with spacers for the stock calipers to accommodate the additional thickness of the vented rotors, but what about the calipers for Kit #1?: Has he designed and produced all new castings? I e-mailed him and asked if him:
    Hi Ed,
    A question regarding the calipers in your Power Brakes Kit 1: Are they:
    1) Stock calipers + spacers, or are they
    2) Wider (non-stock), calipers?

He replied:
    " They are wider, so no adaptor kit."

The way I interpret his reply is that he has come up with an entirely new design and casting for the calipers in Brake Kit #1. Quite impressive if that is the case. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks,

Henrik
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4

They may be the Girling calipers off the Ford Capri. Certain models came with vented discs.
    Im not seeing a benefit to these calipers over the stock calipers with a spacer, unless the bore is larger. Which I doubt as the rotors are smaller than the stock delorean rotors.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    They may be the Girling calipers off the Ford Capri.
    Ah - didn't think about that possibility.
    Im not seeing a benefit to these calipers over the stock calipers with a spacer...
    The wider, non-spacer calipers have one less joint than the spacer ditto, so the one benefit would be greater integrity, reduced potential for leaks etc.
    ...unless the bore is larger.
    I'll ask Ed.
    ...the rotors are smaller than the stock delorean rotors.
    The diameter of the vented rotor is less than stock? Not meaning to doubt you but how do you know that? I'd have to ask Ed about that too.

Thanks,

Henrik

I am referring to the Capri vented front rotors which are 245mm in diameter. The stock delorean brakes are 254mm

Eds rotors are the same diameter as stock.

As for leak resistance and structural integrity of the caliper, I wouldn't be too concerned. There are many other things in the front suspension that will fall apart before the caliper does! Spacer or not. In my opinion.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Aha - gotcha.

By chance, what is the diameter for the Miata rotors you are using?

I am using all NB 1.8 parts, so 255mm diameter rotors. In 2001 they introduced bigger brakes that were 270mm (with larger bore calipers and bigger pads) that can be bought new for the same price as the smaller brakes but they do not fit under a 14" rim.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Thanks Josh and Clint for pursuing this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast