After my engine swap, I always found the brakes to be a little lacking. I began researching brake upgrades and found the DMCEU vented rotors which many of us know about and they are a decent setup. However, I do not like the idea of only being able to source your rotors from one place, and they are a bit pricey.
Some other downfalls (I feel) of the stock setup are:
-The hub and bearing needs to be removed to change the rotor
-The rotor is only held in by 4 small bolts
-The calipers are very old and hard to source (damaged my rear caliper last year and had a very hard time finding another)
-Small and limited brake pad options
So I did some research and found several candidates of cars to donate parts. I wanted a car with a similar setup (no fwd) with cheap and common parts. I ended up settling on the Mazda Miata.
I had a Miata front subframe in my shed from another project, so that influenced my choice as well, lol.
I ended up utilizing the rotors, calipers, and hubs.
Some benefits of the Miata setup:
-Inexpensive parts (Calipers, rotors, and hubs almost cost the same as a set of just delorean rotors)
-Easy to source parts
-Larger pads with MANY options
-Conventional Rotor Mounting
-Many options of upsized rotors and calipers if you move to a larger wheel.
These parts did not just bolt on. I tried to do as little modifications as possible, but it was a little involved. I designed and had a new caliper bracket laser cut which simply bolts in place of the stock caliper bracket. The Miata hub bearing is a smaller inner diameter and a little longer than the stock delorean bearing. To make this work I had the spindle diameter machined down, and the hub spacer shortened. Once these three things were done, the parts simply bolted up.
I hope you guys find this interesting/useful.
I still need to plumb in the brakes (parts on order) and fit the dust caps so I can retain my speedometer.