FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vented Front Brakes - Miata

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    They may be the Girling calipers off the Ford Capri. Certain models came with vented discs.
    Just to close the loop on this:

I circled back with Ed who told me that the wider (non-spacer) caliper in Brake Kit 1 is indeed a new design. Dimensions are identical to the stock caliper, including same piston diameter, but the width is obviously increased. It was/is produced by the same UK company that made the stock D calipers.

I am impressed that he produced a new casting without much fanfare or promotion. He just went ahead and did it.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post

I circled back with Ed who told me that the wider (non-spacer) caliper in Brake Kit 1 is indeed a new design. Dimensions are identical to the stock caliper, including same piston diameter, but the width is obviously increased. It was/is produced by the same UK company that made the stock D calipers.

I am impressed that he produced a new casting without much fanfare or promotion. He just went ahead and did it.
    Weird. The setup to make a new casting can be very expensive, I know from work it can range from $5,000 to $10,000. Hopefully he can recoup his costs, or is getting a much better deal.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Are we sure it was made specifically for the D? Or is it used on some other vehicle and simply fits the D?
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Weird. The setup to make a new casting can be very expensive, I know from work it can range from $5,000 to $10,000. Hopefully he can recoup his costs, or is getting a much better deal.
    Brand new "import" Girling Type 16/16P/16PB calipers have been available for a while:

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/catalogs...?q=16p+caliper

I'm not sure what it takes to make a casting deeper but perhaps the bulk of costs were already covered?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post

I circled back with Ed
    Sorry, but what do these two things mean exactly? Close the loop? Does that mean no more information here on DMCTalk? Circle back? What is inside the circle? Are we outside the circle?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10270

Farrar with the deep dive into subtext. Hopefully Henrik can touch base while the rest of the team is in a holding pattern.

IT-isms. I just Dilberted a little in my mouth.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    #5980

Here is my (very) old 'Brake-Upgrade'-Page from around 2000...

http://www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/brake/

At that time we hadn't vented Discs so I removed the middle part of the new caliper. Now you can leave it and buy the vented discs from Ed.
    The bad news: these calipers are only available in Europe, not in the US because Ford Granadas were only sold in the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Granada_(Europe)

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Update for you:

Protoype #2 is on the road for testing. Everything has been going great so far. The set up bolts on very easily, both sides can be installed and bled in under an hour. Again 100% BOLT ON and reversible. The final parts list is:

1: pair of cut down DMC spindle spacers (These are cheap to buy and replace to go back, if this became a kit, these would become a core item)
    2: pair of new wheel Hubs ready to be installed
    3: pair of 1994-1998 1.8L Mazda Mx5 front rotors
    4: Pair of 1994-1998 1.8L Mazda Mx5 Front brake Calipers (Reman or New available) with anti-rattle hardware kit
    5: 1 Set of Brake pads ( many compounds available)
    6: Pair of wheel hub centering rings ( one will be modified to drive the angle drive)
    7: pair of -3 AN stainless braided brake hoses to connect stock DMC hard line to MX5 caliper

The following is reused:
    1: Dmc spindle nut and washer
    2: Brake dust shield ( small section will have to be trimmed for larger caliper) alternatively it can be left off.

Here are some pictures:

Powdercoated brackets, spacer, and hub centering ring:

Spindle spacer being cut down:

Brake pad comparison, Im starting out with some basic Bosch Premium pads:

Stock rotors vs MX5 vented, gain about 5mm and a bit lighter too:

New hub and rotor with caliper inside wheel, its a tight fit:

Before and after blasting my used calipers that I had ( remans and new are easy to come by):

Bolting it up and checking for leaks:

Fully assembled and ready to test:

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks Clint! Very detailed update.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

When do we get to find out which wheel hubs are used?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast