FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Vented Front Brakes - Miata

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Considering my upcoming LS4 conversion, I am keeping my eyes very close on this thread.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Just wanted to check-in on this thread, and see where things are?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I have been continuing testing on my car abeit at a slow pace. I have halted testing on the 1.8 Miata brakes for now and gone to this 11 inch rotor and stoptech caliper package (since it just became available and I was offered to give it a try by a local vendor), which is a lot more powerful and they much nicer looking set up that bolts up to Josh S' brackets. However that has required me to go with 15 inch wheels, which I now have 100 miles of testing now. I will need to narrow the front track a little bit for these wider Wheels which are 15 x 8 front and rear.

I am waiting on getting some more evenly matched front and rear tires to get a more accurate result about the brake bias. I'm currently running much stickier tires up front and older tires in the rear which is giving an unfair bias to the rear.
    This Stoptech kit is the largest bolt on brake kit put on a DeLorean as far as we know.

However the 1.8 Miata brake conversion is still 100% bolt on and work fantastic with factory wheels and tires. Hopefully we will have more cars with that set up to compare results soon.

20170703_192503.jpg

20170525_205937.jpg

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    I have been continuing testing on my car abeit at a slow pace. I have halted testing on the 1.8 Miata brakes for now and gone to this 11 inch rotor and stoptech caliper package (since it just became available and I was offered to give it a try by a local vendor), which is a lot more powerful and they much nicer looking set up that bolts up to Josh S' brackets. However that has required me to go with 15 inch wheels, which I now have 100 miles of testing now. I will need to narrow the front track a little bit for these wider Wheels which are 15 x 8 front and rear.

I am waiting on getting some more evenly matched front and rear tires to get a more accurate result about the brake bias. I'm currently running much stickier tires up front and older tires in the rear which is giving an unfair bias to the rear.
    This Stoptech kit is the largest bolt on brake kit put on a DeLorean as far as we know.

However the 1.8 Miata brake conversion is still 100% bolt on and work fantastic with factory wheels and tires. Hopefully we will have more cars with that set up to compare results soon.

20170703_192503.jpg

20170525_205937.jpg
    Is the 11" disc planned for what you'd potentially help other owners install? Just curious since I cant imagine many owners wanting to change their front wheels.

The wilwoods I have up front are using 11" discs with 4 piston forged dynalite calipers. As I've told others before, 11" discs are great for stopping, but honestly, I'd probably rather bump down to 10.75" if I were to do it again as the clearance is extremely tight in the stock 14" rim. When I first installed them, there was one corner of the caliper that I had to shave about .05"-.01" off of to ensure that there was no rubbing with the inside of the rim.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm confused.

"It works fine, but I am not using it" doesn't seem like much of an endorsement to me...

Oh, well. This thread was fun reading, anyway. I guess I'll keep my brakes stock and drive under the speed limit. LOL
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    "It works fine, but I am not using it" doesn't seem like much of an endorsement to me...

.....LOL

Well you're right it does work fine, but there is this better and larger brake kits out there and this happened to come along.

Personally I want even more braking capacity, so feeling very confident with the 1.8 Miata setup I have already moved on to this next stage however it requires larger Wheels which very few DeLorean owners are willing to do.

Think of the Miata 1.8 setup as a stage 1 and this larger stoptech kit as a stage 2. I'm well aware that stock is fine for most of you guys who just drive your cars every once in awhile and doddle from car show the car show. But there are also other people who drive these cars daily and/or drive them a little more spirited so they would like to have a safer more powerful longer-lasting brake setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Is the 11" disc planned for what you'd potentially help other owners install? Just curious since I cant imagine many owners wanting to change their front wheels.

The wilwoods I have up front are using 11" discs with 4 piston forged dynalite calipers. As I've told others before, 11" discs are great for stopping, but honestly, I'd probably rather bump down to 10.75" if I were to do it again as the clearance is extremely tight in the stock 14" rim....

This 11in stoptech kit was a kit from a local vendor that I build roll bars for here in Sacramento and they are bolt on for Mazda Miatas, they just happened to bolt onto my DeLorean now that Josh S has made these adapter brackets so any aftermarket brake kit that bolts onto a Miata should now bolt on to a DeLorean.

This stoptech kit is really just for my own amusement, and personal development, and it showcases what else is possible. If anyone is interested in having that as well I can give them more information. Don't worry the 1.8 brake kit is still under development and testing.

While this Stoptech set up does not fit in a 14 inch wheel and the Willwoods do, this is quite a trivial issue to me and should be to anyone who cares about putting quality tires on their car.

14 inch tires are a thing of the past, there is no more market for it anymore, tire manufacturers are not putting any time or money into making quality products in that size. So for performance and safety sake have gone to having 15 inch front tires which means I can now put even larger brakes on the car and have more rubber for it to grip the road with.

If you absolutely have to keep the factory wheel and tire set up, that's absolutely fine, (its one of the many reasons 1.8 mx5 brakes were chosen) I just think the smaller wheels are rather limiting the access to modern performance equipment. [End rant on tires]
    None of this stuff is permanent, I could literally bolt on 100% Factory brakes wheels and tires in less than an hour.

The possibilities are pretty much endless, you just need to ask yourself what do you want your car to do, how much money do you want to spend, and how do you want it to look?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5