FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Lug Nut question

My VIN:    1597

Quick Lug Nut question

Sometime from someone during the last 10 years I bought a full set of lug nuts. They are larger in appearance than stock, a shiny chrome look and judging from their failures, its a chrome cap. One by one the caps are either breaking free or coming off into the socket. . Luckily you can still get the underlying bare lug off. "So far" I saw the ones DMC offers and they kinda have the same appearance so I backed off on buying them.

Are these chrome caps that are welded,pressed on? If so, I want SOLID quality lug nuts.
    Where, who, any info on some please let me know. Thanks......
    If it matters I have the early vin dark grey wheels.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    <snip>

Are these chrome caps that are welded,pressed on? If so, I want SOLID quality lug nuts.
    Where, who, any info on some please let me know. Thanks......

<snip>
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...ght=solid+lugs

6 yrs old but I will look into that.Thanks . I did see the SpecialT picture and I am almost 100% certain those are the ones that I have /had that the cover comes loose on.

My VIN:    05457

Several years ago Josh put in an order for 5,000 stainless steel single piece (no cap) lug nuts that match OEM specs.

I haven't heard an update on them yet to know if they ever arrived. To my knowledge this was the closest we came to a perfect lug nut.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

6 yrs old but I will look into that.Thanks . I did see the SpecialT picture and I am almost 100% certain those are the ones that I have /had that the cover comes loose on.
    Check Page #5 (Post #45) from last month, Posted by Michael. He has been running the solid "Honda" lugs for over 5 years without a problem.

Good to see some very familiar characters that go way back.

I have been mia for a while from the forums due to injury to my lower back, no more helicopters for me, but its great to see the community is still so strong and responsive. I really appreciate the replies and placed my order today for 2 door handles. The drivers side finally broke so I am going to jump back in the fire and tackle it. In the meanwhile I hope to be able to maybe help a few people out and pay it forward.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I just found a great deal on eBay on a full set (20) of the specific OEM Honda lugs that Michael originally posted about, the 90304-SA5-013 - for $30. I do see that the seat is not quite the right shape but I'm willing to give it a try since now all but 2 of my second set of Hervey lug nuts have lost their caps, again.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Let me know how they do. John still in biz??? I would rather use my originals than risk the caps again. End of summer I do my all around inspection and take the tires off. Prob wait til then.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Let me know how they do. John still in biz??? I would rather use my originals than risk the caps again. End of summer I do my all around inspection and take the tires off. Prob wait til then.
    Yeah, he seems to still be out there. His site has had an overhaul since I last saw it, but it's still full of the same bravado as always. FWIW, I got his "Stainless" nuts back in like 2012 and they stuck out so far they looked like those pointy ones that truckers put on the wheels of a Peterbilt. After much hassle, I returned them to him (I've sold thousands of sets and no one has ever said they stick out before! You must have aftermarket wheels or something!") for a set of "His" pressed-cap OEM style ones. They were the exact same metric nuts you can get at any CarQuest and fell apart basically instantaneously, but I was beyond the desire to fight that battle again. Been losing caps (my apologies to every other driver who I share the California roadways with) ever since and waiting for something better to come along.

I had very high hopes for DPI Josh to actually come through with reproduction, OEM style but solid stainless nuts. But that was years and years ago, and he frequently writes uncashable checks WRT ideas like this. So, Honda it is. Will report back.
    Last edited by jawn101; 05-01-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

I could write a small book on the dealings with John, Some great, some good and some horrible. From a fuel pump running strong since 07 to losing a $1000+ check. From quick shipping to month long delays and forgotten orders. Having new shock absorbers "EZ RIDER IIRC" collapse and being told "Uh, I guess the collars should have been tighter. You are the 1st to really use them. " From " I am only one man doing the best he can, I gotta go. To " I just did a inventory and did you ever send me back XYZ?" into a 30 minute rant. Only to discover he OWED me parts.
    I once bought his super duper high voltage alternator which never worked right leading to a month long gremlin hunt. Only to find out the gearing wheel was not spinning fast enough to produce said voltage. That was my last order and rather than bother returning it and hearing his worn out reasoning, I took this $150 boat anchor and did just that. Its now 250 ft down in Lake Murray.
    I could go on and on but for my health and sanity will leave it there. Still, dealing with John is a delight compared to the now doa Delorean One in CA where I was sized up to see if I was worthy but thats another story.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 05-01-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast