FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Car been sitting..smelling gas

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Car been sitting..smelling gas

Ok, my cars been sitting and not run since last summer...I did have the power on doing some electrical work, but didnt run the engine at all. Lately when I been walking past her, I been smelling gas near the rear. Havent seen any on the floor. Anyone got an idea why I'd be smelling it?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    1597

That can be tricky. I have smelled a very faint smell near the filler cap my car for 10 years yet nobody else can.
    Get a bright light and start looking for anything wet or shiny. Start at one end and just follow the path of the fuel flow. Could be easy and be a connection at the fuel dist where its very common as the copper washers are finicky. If its the driver's side rear there is a filter thats out of view thats know to smell.
    Also, have you not been driving it or is the car down and not running? Thats a long time and the longer they sit the worse they get.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 03-13-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Its on the passenger side.

Havent started it because the car is still rather disassembled and I dont want to run it too much as one of the cooling lines on the transmission leaks when its running. As for how long it sat...I got her from a 15 year coma..got the engine running and all that..but waiting until I have the funds to get the work I need done up at DMCNW.

I havent seen any shiny or what looks like fuel drips.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10309

I would be more worried if I couldn't see it but could smell it. After rehab of the valley of death I had a small leak at the fuel distributor that spilled gas under the intake manifold. After tightening down on the fuel line I let it sit for an hour and thought it would have evaporated. So when I started the car a spark from the ignition distributor ignited what ever fuel was underneath and it had a nice flame until I got a fire extinguisher on it. Melted a few wires so I put a new engine wiring harness in it. If you can't see it be careful and have a fire extinguisher in hand.

At the moment, Im just planning to keep searching. Will be most likely not running it until I take it up to Toby for inspection and lotsa work..hehe.

For now I think I'll take out the fuse for the fuel pump so it doesnt come on when Im doing the electrical bits I still need.

I wouldnt be surprised that lines are deteriorating faster since I started bringing her out of her long coma..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon