FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Radiator fan replacement help

My VIN:    10201

Radiator fan replacement help

I'm changing out the fans with the DPI ones and I'm trying to remove only the radiator shroud. I've already taken the anti roll bar brackets off since I'm doing the recall kit as well. I was taking this bracket off for access but now it looks like the holds the radiator up.

20170311_134226.jpg

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

It will be fine, take the brackets off the hoses will hold the radiator up. Just go for it!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I believe I may have screwed up. I didn't want to bleed the radiator and in loosening this bolt I started seeing coolant leaking.

I thought I'd have enough flex in the hose but now I'm worried I cracked the radiator

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You may have jarred the end tank loose. When done pressure test for a leak. In rare cases you can cause a small leak that goes away after expansion and won't come back. If your luck is like mine, you will have to replace the radiator...
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Not a terrible idea to replace a stock radiator. It will let you down sooner or later.
    Id put my vote in as well for tweaking the end tank causing the leak.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Not a terrible idea to replace a stock radiator. It will let you down sooner or later.
    Id put my vote in as well for tweaking the end tank causing the leak.
    If that is the original radiator with the plastic tanks just replace it, it is FAR past it's useful life. The hoses too.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5302

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I believe I may have screwed up. I didn't want to bleed the radiator and in loosening this bolt I started seeing coolant leaking.

Hey dude!

I did the same job 6 months ago, and the EXACT SAME thing happened to me. That one stupid bolt is behind that pipe, which you have to bend just a little bit beyond it's flex zone to get the bolt out. Totally pissed me off, the stupidity of that pipe and bolt being where they are is beyond me. My radiator started dripping at that corner when flexing the pipe, but stopped when letting go of the pipe and relaxing it. I was all worried about it, thinking I ruined the radiator, but when all was said and done, the radiator was ok.

Go to home depot and buy a shorter bolt of the exact same thread size, and use that to put back in. That way you won't have to stress the pipe (as much) again. Give the "teeth" around the radiator end cap a squeeze afterwards to make sure it's tight, and chances are it won't leak.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

I tightened it back up immediately and it hasn't leaked from what I can tell. I might as well try to go ahead without changing the radiator for now. I mean if it's already damaged I don't have much to lose. I just really don't want to buy a radiator after that expensive exhaust job I had done.

My VIN:    5302

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I tightened it back up immediately and it hasn't leaked from what I can tell. I might as well try to go ahead without changing the radiator for now. I mean if it's already damaged I don't have much to lose. I just really don't want to buy a radiator after that expensive exhaust job I had done.
    Yep, a radiator is way too expensive to replace without being sure it needs it. I cold pressure tested my system at 15 psi and there wasn't a single drip from that corner during or afterwards. Surprisingly, during the test it dripped from my water pump, which it never does when actually running the car.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast