FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: While I'm at it...Steering bushing, speakers, stereo, weather stripping...

While I'm at it...Steering bushing, speakers, stereo, weather stripping...

So I'm going to be doing my first delorean repair job, replacing the steering column bushing. While I have the column out, I figure it will be a good time to replace the blown speakers.

I also have a significant seal issue somewhere, as my drivers side carpeting gets severly wet and the passenger side also gets wet whenever it rains. I checked the door seals and the werent damp at all, but the rubber is looking aged. So I'm guessing the leak originates its somewhere up front.

My radio needs work, so i might replace that too. If anyone has an old minidisc car stereo collecting dust, let me know!

Besides these projects, is there anything else thats reasonable to do while I'm crawling around under the dash?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by adam_knox View Post
    So I'm going to be doing my first delorean repair job, replacing the steering column bushing. While I have the column out, I figure it will be a good time to replace the blown speakers.

I also have a significant seal issue somewhere, as my drivers side carpeting gets severly wet and the passenger side also gets wet whenever it rains. I checked the door seals and the werent damp at all, but the rubber is looking aged. So I'm guessing the leak originates its somewhere up front.

My radio needs work, so i might replace that too. If anyone has an old minidisc car stereo collecting dust, let me know!

Besides these projects, is there anything else thats reasonable to do while I'm crawling around under the dash?

Thanks!

The speakers are easily enough done even with the steering column in place. For water leaks refer to ST-33-12/81. If you take out the binnacle replace all of the bulbs and lubricate the upper speedo cable. Read ST-14-9/81 SA-0004 also. You might also want to rebuild the mode switch if it is stiff and/or hissing.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The speakers are easily enough done even with the steering column in place. For water leaks refer to ST-33-12/81. If you take out the binnacle replace all of the bulbs and lubricate the upper speedo cable. Read ST-14-9/81 SA-0004 also. You might also want to rebuild the mode switch if it is stiff and/or hissing.
    Thanks David, for the references. I never even thought about the mode switch, and it does hiss. Jusr thought it was a quirk of the car!

My VIN:    6472

If you haven't already purchased the steering column bushing, I highly recommend you get this one: http://delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/..._Code=101994DP. I bought Houston's bushing and had the hardest time trying to get it installed and went through two of them. Then I tried the Delrin bushing and it went in right away with no problem.

The water leaks might also be from a clogged windshield drain, so you might wanna check that as well. Just search windshield drain on this site and you'll find threads about it. If you're removing the center console to install the radio, it would be a good time to replace all the bulbs with LEDs. Same with the binnacle if you're removing it. Make sure you put the steering column back in the same exact position (mark it if possible) so your steering wheel will be centered when going straight.

My VIN:    3937

In the driver's footwell?

- check to see if the inertia switch recall was done on your car. Replacement switches have a white splash of paint on them and they got relocated to the sidewall and not still on the same bracket that the service counter is on.
    - install a secondary/back-up trunk release cable if not already done.
    - clip the wiper delay module/relay/buzzer tray back up into the pedal box assembly where it is supposed to be as they often fall down and just hang there by the wires.
    - if you're going to go into the binnacle and instrument cluster, replace any bulbs that are burnt out (with LEDs if you choose) and replace your trip reset shaft if yours happens to be broken (many are from twisting instead of pushing the end of it to reset the tripmeter).

If you decide to do the stereo replacement and end up pulling out the entire centre console, which would include the portions all the way back to the coin tray, you could remedy the part where your elbow tends to rest if that has gotten pushed down over the years. It can get pushed down and then the buttons for the windows don't like to sit in there very well. You could see about installing one of those "aligner" products for that row of switches too.

That's all for now. Those "while you're in there" projects can get pretty out of hand if you don't limit what all is on your list. You might start now and get finished in July if it really goes sideways on you...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior