FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Suspension and lubrication

My VIN:    2483

Suspension and lubrication

I just finished cleaning/painting, new bushings and bearings, new shocks and new steering rack.

In addition to all of that I purchased a complete suspension nut and bolt kit from DMCMW. (Big love to Mike and Suzy)

I am now ready to put it all back together.

Before I do all that I have a few questions.

There are may types of grease and lube for different uses.

What is the best type of product for each application?

1. Ball joints

2. Bushings

3. Hub wall and spindle shaft (around bearing)

4. Bolts. (Not the thread but the shaft)

5. Steering rack. (Mine is new but for future maintenance)

6. Steering shaft, u-joints etc

7. Axle shaft u-joints

8. Angle drive

9. Any other parts to lube? With what?

If there are any other tips, tricks, or pointers about grease and lube, let's hear it, please.

Last question on this front.

Do specific brands matter with greases and lubes as far as product quality, durability, longevity, purity, etc.

My VIN:    5625

Rear hub bearing grease

Im curious about proper greasing as well.

I just put my rear suspension back together with new bearings. Do I need to pack grease in the area between the bearing and hub?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    3937

Was this ever answered?

I too would be interested in knowing what sort of lubrication is needed or recommended... for the steering rack specifically.

I recently discovered a noise when I turn the wheel and was able to repeat it with the front end raised and the wheels free to turn. It sounds like a vibration/rub much like you might hear if you were trying to slide a heavy piece of furniture across the floor without really lifting it. It seems to be coming from the little central box on the rack which the shaft goes into. There are little diamond shaped covers that may or may not be something to open up and add lubrication through. Don't know, so that's why I was asking. I don't see any standard looking lube port or fitting on it anywhere, but maybe I missed it?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Was this ever answered?

I too would be interested in knowing what sort of lubrication is needed or recommended... for the steering rack specifically.

I recently discovered a noise when I turn the wheel and was able to repeat it with the front end raised and the wheels free to turn. It sounds like a vibration/rub much like you might hear if you were trying to slide a heavy piece of furniture across the floor without really lifting it. It seems to be coming from the little central box on the rack which the shaft goes into. There are little diamond shaped covers that may or may not be something to open up and add lubrication through. Don't know, so that's why I was asking. I don't see any standard looking lube port or fitting on it anywhere, but maybe I missed it?
    About 3 & 1/2 oz's of 90Wt gear oil should do it. Normaly only do this when rebuilding the rack as it is difficult, but not impossible, to add fluid with the rack installed through the rack bar preloader. This is time consuming and messy and it isn't possible to know how much oil it has or needs in this situation so you must guess. A torn rack boot would be the only good reason to add oil that way.
    Rob

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    About 3 & 1/2 oz's of 90Wt gear oil should do it. Normaly only do this when rebuilding the rack as it is difficult, but not impossible, to add fluid with the rack installed through the rack bar preloader. This is time consuming and messy and it isn't possible to know how much oil it has or needs in this situation so you must guess. A torn rack boot would be the only good reason to add oil that way.
    Rob
    Thanks Rob. I was out in the garage again and I think the noise is coming from the steering column bushing rather than the rack. I did the "cut and stuff" install method for that bushing years ago and I think it has worked it's way out a little bit. I can't see any tears in my rack boots and would agree with you on not seeing any other likely reasons why the oil would magically be gone from inside there (or how much). Bushing is a pain to get up in there to reach, but definitely easier than dealing with the rack.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior