FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Now it won't even attempt to crank

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    10907

Now it won't even attempt to crank

So that intermittent problem I was having where I turned the key and nothing happened? It's suddenly become constant. I tested the battery this morning and it tested good, I drove it to work and then a couple of miles to the library and back on my dinner break. When I went to start up a few hours later, nothing.

The dash lights come on but the engine doesn't even attempt to start. I can sometimes hear the relay clicking from the back. After I take the key out for a few seconds there'll be a kind of medium-pitch buzz that sounds like it's coming from under the dash, like an alarm that tells you your keys are still in the ignition, but they're not. The previous times this has happened, it went away when I took the key out and reinserted it. I tried that about 5 times with no success.

I replaced the ignition relay and it didn't help. I poked around the inertia switch but nothing looked obviously amiss. Is there anything else I can try before expending my 3rd of 4 allotted AAA tows for the year?

(Other things I've already replaced: RPM relay, coil, terminal on Y/W wire on lower right side of resistor, terminal on B/W wire going to negative side of coil. The car still started after all of these, but I was having the issue where it would run rough and die if I didn't keep my foot on the gas until the idle evened out.)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 03-21-2017 at 02:54 AM.