FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Now it won't even attempt to crank

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Still not sure about this one, they couldn't replicate the issue at the shop. When I was driving home, a guy pulled up next to me and said I had no brake lights. I'm waiting for my roommate to get back to have him look at it while I start it, but is that something that could potentially be related or just another random gremlin? (A guy I know whose kid used to have one said that sometimes half of his taillights would randomly stop working, and he was an electrical engineer and never did figure out why.)
    With both stop lights out it most likely is your brake light switch or the fuse. The brake lights get power through a fuse only used in that circuit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    With both stop lights out it most likely is your brake light switch or the fuse. The brake lights get power through a fuse only used in that circuit.
    While it very well could be a fuse or a switch, the taillight boards are notorious for faulty connections.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10907

Just had my roommate look while I started it and he said there was still nothing. Guess I have another project for tomorrow...

Crisis averted - one of the green & purple wires had come unplugged at the switch. I probably bumped it while poking around under there chasing the startup gremlin. Far and away the easiest repair I've made yet.

Miraculously this one actually manifested while they were working on it. They checked the battery which tested good, but while doing that they discovered that my cutoff switch was a little loose. It's too intermittent to be sure yet whether tightening the connections on the cutoff did the trick but I'm crossing my fingers...

May have finally whipped this one! When I stopped by DPI to get some replacement bolts for my exhaust heat shield, I had Josh take a look at the wiring by the starter. I had thought the problem might be a bad connection in the blue scotch-lock in that cluster, but it turned out that wire didn't actually do anything. But while he was poking around in there he discovered that the whole starter wasn't actually bolted in correctly (apparently installer error by the seller) so it would work itself loose and sometimes randomly not ground. He replaced the starter and it hasn't done it since. He said that even if the problem recurs and that wasn't actually it, the starter was a disaster waiting to happen (possibly in the middle of Nebraska), so I guess my lost heat shield bolts were a blessing in disguise!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Great finally meeting you yesterday! I think we were all surprised to be able to grab the end of the starter and shake it around... This was a first by far. The starter is held in by three 8mm bolts. This one had a stripped out 8mm up top, 7 mm in the middle and a 5/16 bolt in the bottom. After seeing the starter fail to start the car multiple times in person and not once after wards I think the problem is fixed!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Great finally meeting you yesterday! I think we were all surprised to be able to grab the end of the starter and shake it around... This was a first by far. The starter is held in by three 8mm bolts. This one had a stripped out 8mm up top, 7 mm in the middle and a 5/16 bolt in the bottom. After seeing the starter fail to start the car multiple times in person and not once after wards I think the problem is fixed!
    Thanks again for all your help! I didn't have any more problems with it yesterday so things are looking good.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Problems like that are difficult-to-impossible to help you with over the Internet. You find that kind of wacky stuff only by putting your eyes and hands on it. The Dreaded Previous Owner (DPI) strikes again! The bigger problem is once you find that kind of thing, now you have to worry what else was touched on the car?
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Problems like that are difficult-to-impossible to help you with over the Internet. You find that kind of wacky stuff only by putting your eyes and hands on it. The Dreaded Previous Owner (DPI) strikes again! The bigger problem is once you find that kind of thing, now you have to worry what else was touched on the car?
    Yeah, this wasn't the first time I've had to redo something the seller said he fixed.

I felt like I should have caught this myself but maybe it wasn't as loose when I was poking around there originally. It definitely seemed like it was intensifying recently - the time I posted this thread was the first time it took more than a couple tries to start, and after that it would be OK for a week or two at a time, but when I was in PA was the first time it had done it two starts in a row and repeatedly taken 6-7 tries to get going. Really glad I didn't try to go another 1800 miles with it like that!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast