FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Now it won't even attempt to crank

My VIN:    10907

Still trying to figure out why the light switch would have caused this issue. Here are some pix of the steering column wiring and behind the A/C panel, does anyone see anything amiss?

Picture 385.jpgPicture 391.jpgPicture 392.jpgPicture 387.jpgPicture 388.jpgPicture 389.jpgPicture 395.jpg

The first one of the left side of the steering column, the round black plastic part looks kind of greasy and dirty, does it maybe need to be cleaned up?
    Last edited by DaraSue; 03-22-2017 at 02:37 PM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Still trying to figure out why the light switch would have caused this issue. Here are some pix of the steering column wiring and behind the A/C panel, does anyone see anything amiss?
    That could have been a coincidence, perhaps nothing to do with the light switch.

If your D is in the mode of sometimes cranking and sometimes not then the starter circuit is in question.

Be sure the starter relay recall is in place.

Beyond that the original starter solenoid contactor eventually can give out. As it's going bad you get more and more non-cranks kind of at random. Eventually you get a new or rebuilt starter (with a new solenoid on it) or a rebuilt/replacement solenoid on the old starter (which is probably still fine if it cranks just fine whenever it DOES crank to begin with). Just a guess, not enough data to be sure about this one.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3937

The tech bulletin for the starter recall modification indicates it was done by the factory after VIN 2547. Are there cars out there with higher VINs that were somehow missed by Dunmurry?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The tech bulletin for the starter recall modification indicates it was done by the factory after VIN 2547. Are there cars out there with higher VINs that were somehow missed by Dunmurry?
    His blower breaker had four wires so I assume the modification was done. Now he should check that the modification wire is attached to the battery side, otherwise if the blower was on when he tried to start the car it may "break" the breaker and then the starter would not crank.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

I've never seen one that was missed.
    Rob

I took the relay holder out just to double check and it does look like it has all the wires it should according to the service bulletin:

Picture 398.jpg

However, the bulletin says the brown wire is supposed to connect to the fan speed breaker, which according to he chart http://support.delorean.com/AvatarHa...key=3475194172 is #18. But mine goes to the left side of #19.

Picture 361-2.jpg (Whoops, my arrow doesn't show up very well here but it's the top one on the left.)

Additionally, I had to take the lambda relay out to get to the bolt and it was extremely difficult to remove, and it has different markings than the other square relays. Is this of any significance?

Picture 404.jpgPicture 403.jpg

My VIN:    3937

Additionally, I had to take the lambda relay out to get to the bolt and it was extremely difficult to remove, and it has different markings than the other square relays. Is this of any significance?

Picture 404.jpgPicture 403.jpg
    Yes. The Lambda relay is different from the others. How? I don't know. What I do know is that this is the reason they put that label where they did.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Yes. The Lambda relay is different from the others. How? I don't know. What I do know is that this is the reason they put that label where they did.
    Huh, according to this

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a53/e...y-updates.aspx

There's a replacement kit that comes with NOS relays and an upgrade kit that comes new Bosch ones, so maybe that one is actually the newest one? Weird that it isn't marked differently on the chart like the other ones, if it's supposed to be a different kind of relay.

I took it to the shop to get the battery tested and they said it was putting out something like 590 amps (it was rated for up to 690, IIRC) which was apparently good. At that point I just gave up and left it there to get the starter checked b/c I had a road trip planned for next month and I didn't want to dink around with it for another two weeks and risk still not being able to fix the problem.

Still not sure about this one, they couldn't replicate the issue at the shop. When I was driving home, a guy pulled up next to me and said I had no brake lights. I'm waiting for my roommate to get back to have him look at it while I start it, but is that something that could potentially be related or just another random gremlin? (A guy I know whose kid used to have one said that sometimes half of his taillights would randomly stop working, and he was an electrical engineer and never did figure out why.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast