FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rich W's Custom DeLoreans in Canada (sort of) on Discovery Channel CAN

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Rich W's Custom DeLoreans in Canada (sort of) on Discovery Channel CAN

Well, it's been a few days since the Discovery Channel Canada film crew was here in the U.S. Midwest filming content for an upcoming episode of Daily Planet, to be aired this April.

A little background ... Discovery Channel Canada originally contacted me in 2015 to do a segment, but we had to postpone due to scheduling conflicts.
    Who knew it would take nearly two years and a last minute cancellation (last weekend) before I received a re-scheduled call-back for my segment.
    Unfortunately, the weather was not conducive to parking most of my vehicles out on the soggy lawn this Spring, but at least most of the vehicles will
    get some air time, even if they happened to be very dusty, from a long Winter's nap. A significant amount of filming was done indoors, due to weather.

Early last week, I received several frantic contacts from Discovery Channel Canada (emails and phone messages), since they had to cancel a previously
    setup video shoot in the Chicago area and they wanted to re-schedule that open slot while they had a producer in the area, with a crew ready to shoot.

Luckily, I had already scheduled to take off St. Pat's Day last Friday, so I had some time to "melt the ice" on the pole building doors, so they would open.
    After a 1/2 bag of rock salt and a few hours of melt time, the doors opened. I had not moved any of my project vehicles since British Car Show last Sept.

Ice-melted-under-doors.jpg

Back to Canada. For those of you familiar with the Daily Planet TV Show, the segment on my DeLorean projects should be between 4 to 6 minutes.

Video shoot was about 6 hours long. Weather was cloudy, but above freezing and the ground was soggy. Thankfully, the ice and frozen snow melted.

Posting a few behind the scenes photos of the video shoot. (not too exciting) More details will be provided after the show is initially aired this April.

D_Rex-Rollout-v1.jpg

D_Rex-Rollout-v2.jpg

D-Rex-field-1.jpg

D-Rex-field-2.jpg

A big thanks to Discovery Channel Canada ... Carol Mcgrath and her crew, for getting all the filming we could, on a cold, damp and windy day.

Also thanks to Heather Sherman, who initially contacted me in 2015, for remembering my segment re-scheduling and for reminding Carol about it.

I plan to post a video link (to the show or just the segment) in this thread after the segment is aired next month.

Thanks,
    Rich W.

Very cool Rich. Looking forward to seeing the segment

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

To be initially aired 04/10/2017

Sorry for the late notice, but I just got an email from Carol (producer) this afternoon.

My Custom DeLoreans segment will be initially aired TONIGHT, Monday, April 10th on
    Discovery Channel Canada -- Daily Planet -- 7pm Eastern, 6pm Central.

I hope to have a link to the segment in the next day or two, but whether it is a link on
    the DCC website or not, I will not know if that will be the link destination until I get it.

Once I get the link (and try it out), I will post it here and maybe in Video section too.

Note: No idea how my 4-6 minutes will turn out (6 hours of cold, damp, windy filming).

Not Bad - Review Link should be active through 06/09/2017

Segment turned out pretty good. Not sure if or when it may be posted on the Daily Planet website,
    but until then, there is a Review Link that should be active for at least the next two months and the
    link is currently set to expire on June 9, 2017. Try to review this video link sooner rather than later.

Review Link below can be seen on the Bell Media Review website for at least the next two months:

https://review.bellmedia.ca/view/434091277

Even with the very last minute preparations and less than ideal weather, it turned out pretty well.

Thanks again to Carol, Heather and the entire video crew and editing crew. Great Job Everyone !!

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

Very nice, Rich. Slightly off topic, I noticed that your building looks similar to mine (although bigger). I too have a large sliding door which freezes up in the Winter. Last year I used one of those heated cables that you would use on a roof to prevent ice build up. I placed it in the channel below the door - the one in which the door slides. If I want to open the door before Mother Nature permits, I plug in the cable for a few hours. It melts the ice nicely and the door can open. This door used to infuriate me in previous years, but now this heater cable does the trick, and no salt necessary! Try it! I recommend it.

......Mike......

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

"My 83 Canadian Spec which had a blown engine. We had problems getting a replacement engine a number of years ago so we went ahead and did a motor swap on it. It has an engine out of an 84 grand national..."
    I thought you bought that car with the engine swap already performed, but had to repair the bellhousing and motor mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcjohn View Post
    I thought you bought that car with the engine swap already performed, but had to repair the bellhousing and motor mounts?
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?89...n-intercooled)

A little history about this car: VIN..17063 is a 1983 Canadian Spec (Metric Instrument Cluster) project car that was purchased from the
    previous owner (Geoffroy Birtz) near Toronto, Canada in the Summer of 2002, as a non-driving car with known transmission issues.
    In addition to the transmission issues, the custom bell-housing was broken in a few places, due to a lack of proper engine/trans. support.

This was one of the first big projects worked on in Dave Swingle's new garage (pre-Monster Garage Rock Crawler) and between repairing
    the transmission end cover (nut "walked off" the shaft), repairing and reinforcing the custom bell-housing, fabrication of new, additional
    mounts (between engine and transmission) and fabricating a pilot bearing mount, we also installed a new, stock DeLorean clutch assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by micmak View Post
    Very nice, Rich. Slightly off topic, I noticed that your building looks similar to mine (although bigger). I too have a large sliding door which freezes up in the Winter. Last year I used one of those heated cables that you would use on a roof to prevent ice build up. I placed it in the channel below the door - the one in which the door slides. If I want to open the door before Mother Nature permits, I plug in the cable for a few hours. It melts the ice nicely and the door can open. This door used to infuriate me in previous years, but now this heater cable does the trick, and no salt necessary! Try it! I recommend it.

......Mike......
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly look into a temp install of one of these heated cables by next Fall, for next Winter.

Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks,
    Rich W.

Banned

Cool Interesting Custom DeLorean

I was not aware of a DeLorean being converted into a monster car. Insightful. And also congratulations on your film beings aired. Good work! Cheers!