FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 5k mile barn find to be auctioned

My VIN:    10644

5k mile barn find to be auctioned

My VIN:    3937

That's pretty clean for being found in a "barn."

Whoever ends up with this car, they should correct the mistake on the ballast resistor wiring. If I were to guess why one of the connectors you see there got replaced (with a light blue coloured one), it's because when the four connections are done incorrectly, they tend to get wicked hot and melt off the plastic ends. Car subsequently dies or won't start. Easy fix if you look in the right place.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4519

I'm tempted to go to that auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Whoever ends up with this car, they should correct the mistake on the ballast resistor wiring. If I were to guess why one of the connectors you see there got replaced (with a light blue coloured one), it's because when the four connections are done incorrectly, they tend to get wicked hot and melt off the plastic ends. Car subsequently dies or won't start. Easy fix if you look in the right place.
    How do you know the ballast resistors are wired up wrong? Even enlarged 4800x3000 I can't tell if White and White/Yellow are on the open ends. If they are, ballast resistors are factory configuration for running ignition:

BarnDeLoreanEngine.jpg

Ballast resistors get wicked hot in normal operation. That's why you can't run HEI with them in the loop -- they convert voltage into heat, leaving you with about 8 volts into the coil.

My ballast resistors failed last year on the way to the DMCMW Open House. Would start out OK, then overheat within 5 minutes or so. Resistance jumped to nearly 6 ohm, which of course killed ignition. Since I'm running a coil that doesn't need external resistance I bypassed them and haven't had a lick of trouble since: http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post32723

All resistors eventually burn out: oven element, hot water heater element, ignition ballast resistor, etc.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 05-09-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Even enlarged 4800x3000 I can't tell if White and White/Yellow are on the open ends.
    Tamir's forum automatically resized the picture 1088x681. I did look at it 4800x3003.

Bill Robertson

If you are running HEI, just throw the ballast resistors away (provided your coil can handle it). This is how mine are currently wired (bypassed on the side of the road on the way to the DMCMW open house last year -- haven't had a chance to permanently bypass them yet):

BallastResistorsBypassed.jpg

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    How do you know the ballast resistors are wired up wrong?
    I can't see the wire colours either. I can see the second connector on the leftside though, and it isn't meant to be there. Mine melted themselves off for exactly the same reason, until someone on this very forum in 2008 pointed it out to me. Pay it forward, yo!! lol

If White is on one of the open ends, then the left side/common end is already dropped to ~10 volts (one resistor). Tapping something off that end would have no effect on whichever resistor.

Even if a charging voltage input wire is connected to the common end, that's no different (as far as the remaining ballast resistor is concerned) than the White wire on an open end. It would increase coil voltage, however, which might damage the coil (there has to be some reason Renault dropped coil voltage to 8 running volts).

Blue/Yellow wire bypasses one of the resistors every single time you start the car, at battery voltage of course.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 05-09-2016 at 06:57 PM.

I don't particularly care HOW the circuit melted the connectors, only that they did.

Mine had no double connector on the upper right and instead had one of the four on each corner. I don't recall which wire was in which position, only that leaving it the way it was caused me running problems when the wires fell off (after the connector melted). I put it back the way it was intended, as per the diagram, and it fixed the issue.

Whoever buys this car can go ahead and do whatever they please. I really don't give a shit.

My VIN:    2706

I wonder what this car will go for? Looks pretty nice and if I wasn't out of the country I would probably go to the auction.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast