FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Radio ideas

My VIN:    16377

Radio ideas

I'm currently looking to replace the stock radio in my car, but haven't really found anything that I liked.

Just curious if anyone has recently swapped out their radio for a single DIN style radio and what kind did they get?

I'm just looking for something that supports Bluetooth and Apple/Siri.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello
    VIN 16377

My VIN:    10644

My VIN:    10353

Not sure if your radio still works or not but I ended up getting this for mine. I wanted to keep everything stock so this at least gives you Bluetooth function without having wires all over the place. Certainly easier than replacing the whole deck!

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Cas...ssette+adapter

My VIN:    16409

Blaupunkt San Francisco 320

This is the unit I got. It has the dual knobs so it has sort of a retro vibe. I think Blaupunkt may have discontinued this model so it might be harder to find now.

122290695.blaupunkt-san-francisco-320.jpg

cd-player-auto-cu-radio-blaupunkt-san-francisco-320-1.jpg
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

I think there are Bluetooth adapters that plug in the back where the antenna goes. Turn it on and it overrides a designated fm channel when a signal is detected. To my understanding they are wayyyyy better than those fm transmitters, as clear as an fm signal. If i stick with my radio (aftermarket cassette deck), thats what i plan to do. I'd like to find an old minidisc player if i cant get my cassette stereo working. (If anyone has one collecting dust let me know!)

Heres an example of the fm transmitter. You could then hook up a Bluetooth receiver up to it https://rediscoveradio.com

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10541

Hi Nick,

I recently just installed the Sounstream VRN-74HB from crutchfield a few weeks ago in my D. I wanted something modern with plenty of features that wouldnt alter the center counsel too much. It gave me bluetooth, dvd, gps, android auto, and went well with the backup camera we installed. Best of all it didnt break the bank! It does block the vents when the screens up, but you dont constantly have to have the screen up to work most functions.

V/R,
    Jared
    Attached Images

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by 88Ngone View Post
    Hi Nick,

I recently just installed the Sounstream VRN-74HB from crutchfield a few weeks ago in my D. I wanted something modern with plenty of features that wouldnt alter the center counsel too much. It gave me bluetooth, dvd, gps, android auto, and went well with the backup camera we installed. Best of all it didnt break the bank! It does block the vents when the screens up, but you dont constantly have to have the screen up to work most functions.

V/R,
    Jared
    Thanks Jared!

On my previous DeLorean, I put in a Pioneer DEH-P9300 (this was back in 2002). It allowed you to customize the display with gifs and screen grabs from movies. I was able to make some pretty cool DMC-related animations that fit perfectly with the car. The current owner of the car actually still has that radio in it. Now that I bought another DeLorean, I've been trying to find something that also allows you to customize the display like that, but haven't been able to. I've also noticed that the radios that are on the market these days aren't really catching my eye when it comes to the design of them. I guess I'm a bit too picky.

The search continues..

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello
    VIN 16377

My VIN:    3294

I went with the Jensen VX4012 head unit in my car. Single DIN chassis with a flip up touch screen display. Yes, the screen does block the center vents when it's up, but i typically don't drive around with the screen up... too easy to get distracted.

Standard modern features, bluetooth, GPS, DVD, USB, SD card reader, customizable wall papers for the background, rear camera input, etc. This unit has HDMI / MHL mirroring so you can actually control your phone from the touch screen of the radio. Since I don't smoke in my car, I extended a powered USB charging port from the relay bay, and an HDMI cable from the stereo and installed jacks for each INSIDE the center console ashtray. When not in use, I simply slide the lid closed. I can plug my phone into the ashtray and watch what's happening on my phone on the stereo.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    16795

I could never find a single DIN unit I liked. I eventually gave up and installed a 2 DIN computer.

https://youtu.be/QZj-C1csumU
    Last edited by Jason; 03-24-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

My project for this spring is a whole new sound system - speakers, deck, compact subwoofer, wiring, and a new faceplate to hold the radio. Just waiting for it to warm up enough to get to work. The radio is a Pioneer DEH-X6900BT.
    Pioneer DEH-X6900BT.jpgIMG_2001.jpgIMG_2002.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast