FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: upper/lower ball joints stuck in steering knuckle

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

upper/lower ball joints stuck in steering knuckle

How do you separate the upper/lower ball joints from the steering knuckle? I have of course removed both of the castellated nuts but both ball joints are jammed into their respective knuckle attachments pretty good. I tried by tapping the UCA upwards (hammer + piece of wood) but it wouldn't budge. It was suggested that I used a "pickle fork", which is basically a steel wedge. Do you suggest using penetrating oil; if so, would it harm the ball joint?

Your input and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Henrik
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

If they're that stuck in, you're probably going to tear the boots removing them regardless. Get a pickle fork separator and hammer it in real good and they'll pop out eventually.

If you have an air compressor, get an air-hammer tool with a pickle fork attachment.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Consider a ball joint separator:
    61Jfgz4l7JL._SL1100_.jpg
    I was trying to separate the ball joints on my wifes Civic last year with my pickle forks and couldn't get it to work at all. Finally picked up an OTC Front suspension tool kit which included the ball joint separator shown; could not have been easier. Admittedly I have not yet tried it on my DeLorean (haven't needed to) but I'm assuming it will work just as well.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 03-24-2017 at 01:00 PM.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Consider a ball joint separator:
    61Jfgz4l7JL._SL1100_.jpg
    I was trying to separate the ball joints on my wifes Civic last year with my pickle forks and couldn't get it to work at all. Finally picked up an OTC Front suspension tool kit which included the ball joint separator shown; could not have been easier. Admittedly I have not yet tried it on my DeLorean (haven't needed to) but I'm assuming it will work just as well.
    I rented one of these separators from Auto zone and it worked like a champ on the DeLorean upper and lower ball joints. I've also successfully used pickle fork but it wasn't ideal....I think the pickle fork with the correct width was a little too short in height so I had to wedge a steel plate below it. The next size up was taller in height but too wide.

Alternatively, the trick I always see on TV car shows is to leave the castle nut partially installed loose on the threads of the ball joint, then just smack the outside surface of the steering knuckle with the hammer to pop the taper lock free. When the ball joint pops loose the castle nut stops the parts from flying apart. It's also a good idea to leave the nut partially installed with a pickle fork or separator too.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Great feedback you guys! Thanks!! I'll see if any of my local auto part stores have a ball joint separator in their loaner program.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com