FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: VIN 6298's restoration

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

That last water pump bolt only took 5 minutes of my lunch break today. I was so lucky nothing broke tearing things down to the VOD (except my own screw up with the coolant drain).

There was a considerable amount of corrosion including this white powdery and chunky crap that was everywhere. I am concerned about what is in my engine and potentially putting it into the new cooling system parts after I install them. Maybe I can flush from where the water pump was attached through to the coolant drains on the engine blocks. I found one thread on that but it's not clear I can totally clean the engine this way.

New Parts -

Best case is that I keep my "upgraded" ~1999 fans (not sure exactly what they are yet) but I am still looking at a hefty parts order to get the VOD put back together assuming the rest of my coolant pipes look like the ones in the engine compartment. That kit is almost $500. I've got small holes where the hoses connect.

I still need to get a rebuilt FD (has a stuck plunger) and haven't figured out how to assess the WUR condition yet. I basically need to figure out if any part of the fuel system was not messed up (FV, CSV, etc...). Like the cooling system, I don't want one bad part to ruin all of the new/rebuilt parts. I did flush the fuel hard lines when I cleaned the tank.

Lot to think about as I remove the radiator and clean the VOD this weekend. I am building a parts list offline but this could easily be $2-3 for this phase.

Last night I realized I did not check the valve clearances. Someone in the archives suggested skipping this until the OP could get someone experienced to make any adjustments. I am probably in the same boat but might check the clearances as a baseline before putting things back together.

2017-04-04 14.01.04.jpg2017-04-04 14.01.10.jpg2017-04-04 14.01.22.jpg2017-04-04 14.01.16.jpg
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Costs

I am looking at anywhere from $3-7K to get it on the road and that's not counting a few components. The best case is probably a bit low because I cannot un-stick the Fuel Distributor plunger and seem to have lost my old injectors, new seals, and new clips when I moved. I've tried everything suggested in the archives on fixing the FD except putting it in the oven (per Dave S) but I may carefully try that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...WoA/edit#gid=0

It's still a rough draft so putting aside any mistakes on cost or whether I really need to replace something, does anyone see something missing that would normally be replaced after 15-20 years?

Thanks
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Adjusting the valves isn't difficult, but it is tedious. I'd be glad to walk you through it if you'd like.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Adjusting the valves isn't difficult, but it is tedious. I'd be glad to walk you through it if you'd like.
    I appreciate that. Looks like I have a bit of work to get setup. Since I have an auto and I assume the original muffler, it appears to be in the way to turn the crankshaft. There's no way I can get a socket down there.

I might get lucky. Odds are this was done 10K miles ago albeit in 1999. I might not need to adjust a heck of a lot.

I did find two good videos on youtube which helps. I imagine the catch is to understand how much drag/tension there should be on the feeler.

Thanks

Edit - I might try to buy a low profile 3/8 drive socket. That might fit with the heat shield removed.
    Last edited by Bill6298; 04-04-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Well, I found my missing injectors and frequency valve. Also found my old fuel pump and sender although I have a combo unit still NIB. Found a bunch of mason jars to do the injector spray test when it's time. I wish I could figure out a way to bench test the entire K-Jet system so I can validate the other components. Since everything I have touched so far has been gunked up or stuck (FD), this might a fairly expensive part of my restoration.

2017-04-06 19.38.03.jpg2017-04-06 19.39.02.jpg2017-04-06 19.38.18.jpg
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Looks like alotta work on the engine.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Looks like alotta work on the engine.
    You mean the welding? or what needs to be done in the future? I am hoping I don't have to do much to the engine block other than clean it up a little bit and do a valve adjustment.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

It look all torn down to me...so a lotta work....hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    It look all torn down to me...so a lotta work....hehe.
    Yep, for sure. It's going to be a lot of work but I don't think I can buy all the parts at one time. So, it will be split up into smaller projects over a longer period of time.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3