FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Spark Plugs Stuck

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Spark Plugs Stuck

Hello, are there any good tricks to getting spark plugs unstuck? I estimate these have been in place for 17-18 years and the engine has not run for over 10.

I tried PB Blaster overnight with no luck on the three on the right side. I've got a long breaker bar but am afraid to put too much torque behind it and break it. I also have an 18V impact wrench but wanted to use that as a last resort. I am not sure how cautious to be.

I read here that someone soaked their plugs with diesel fuel but was curious if there are any other tricks.

Thanks

Bill
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    Hello, are there any good tricks to getting spark plugs unstuck? I estimate these have been in place for 17-18 years and the engine has not run for over 10.

I tried PB Blaster overnight with no luck on the three on the right side. I've got a long breaker bar but am afraid to put too much torque behind it and break it. I also have an 18V impact wrench but wanted to use that as a last resort. I am not sure how cautious to be.

I read here that someone soaked their plugs with diesel fuel but was curious if there are any other tricks.

Thanks

Bill
    I don't think I've ever broken one off in the hole, but we've seen some sticky ones. An impact can help but try a couple of short hits in either direction, not just unscrewing it. If the impact has a torque setting, use as low as possible.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are no real "tricks". Use a good quality socket, make sure it fits properly and is all the way on the spark plug. You may damage the threads during removal and have to use a thread insert. Penetrating sprays won't help, they can't get to where they need to. Water may have gotten into the wells and down to the plugs and helped to rot them into place also. Try not to break the plugs as you remove them. Sometimes you can loosen things by trying to tighten them just a little bit so maybe a little back-and-forth can help. I don't suggest an impact gun since you have no control. It is better to do it by hand so you can feel what is happening.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I've broken a plug off in an aluminum head. I would suggest you try the impact because the short pulse may work better than brute force.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks guys. I was trying to be too careful. Got the 3 right and center left out. I also dug up a much better socket. I've got other parts in the way on the left side and my swivel socket is low quality but will get them out later today.

2017-03-25 13.45.52.jpg2017-03-25 13.46.37.jpg

I thought there was oil dripping on the right side plugs but I think that is just PB Blaster. The one on the left had no blaster and came out dry.

Champion RS14YC. Not sure these are the right plug type but they don't look terrible? Clearly I'll replace them but was hoping they would not indicate other trouble. I don't even see any rust.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    16409

Get a set of Bosch HR6DS (silver) plugs. Those are the OEM plugs.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Once you do get the plugs out you should inspect the threads, perform a compression test, gap the plugs and put a dab of Never-Seize on the threads before torquing in the new ones. You should not be using a swivel socket to loosen stuck plugs. You could break the socket, they are not meant to be used for that. When trying to force things it is never a good idea to use anything less than the best quality tool you can get. Using an impact to undo stuck fasteners is a good way to break things quickly. They are hard to control and you will use too much power too easily. They also spin very fast and can rip the threads right out of the aluminum heads. Spark plugs are one area you want to go carefully, damaging them or the head makes what was a hard job all that much harder.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Once you do get the plugs out you should inspect the threads, perform a compression test, gap the plugs and put a dab of Never-Seize on the threads before torquing in the new ones. You should not be using a swivel socket to loosen stuck plugs. You could break the socket, they are not meant to be used for that. When trying to force things it is never a good idea to use anything less than the best quality tool you can get. Using an impact to undo stuck fasteners is a good way to break things quickly. They are hard to control and you will use too much power too easily. They also spin very fast and can rip the threads right out of the aluminum heads. Spark plugs are one area you want to go carefully, damaging them or the head makes what was a hard job all that much harder.
    Thanks for the advice. I got all 6 out with a regular socket and no damage as far as I can tell. Threads look good. I think my problem last night is that I was just not applying enough force and I was only trying it with the (wrong) rotating socket. I found my good spark plug socket and removing them was uneventful. I never used the impact wrench after all.

2017-03-25 15.24.43 HDR.jpg

Do I leave the spark plug holes and surrounding areas as-is? The holes for cylinders 2 and 3 have quite a bit of rust. The others look good.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I got all 6 out with a regular socket and no damage as far as I can tell. Threads look good. I think my problem last night is that I was just not applying enough force and I was only trying it with the (wrong) rotating socket. I found my good spark plug socket and removing them was uneventful. I never used the impact wrench after all.

2017-03-25 15.24.43 HDR.jpg

Do I leave the spark plug holes and surrounding areas as-is? The holes for cylinders 2 and 3 have quite a bit of rust. The others look good.
    If you want to clean them up use a wire brush. Make sure you get ALL of the dirt out of the well AND the cylinder, particularly the area where the spark plug seals to the head. That rust is a sign that the seal on the ignition wire did not keep the water out of the well. Inspect the seal and if necessary replace the wire and seal.
    David Teitelbaum