FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Borgeson steering shaft installation

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by mirror phased, but in general, universal joints should always be installed 90° apart. Unlike constant velocity joints, universal joints do not translate rotational motion at a constant velocity when the joint is at an angle. The greater the angle on the joint, the more the output shaft will speed up and slow down as the input shaft is rotated at a constant speed. This effect is greatly reduced by having 2 universal joints that are offset 90°, and completely eliminated if both joints are operating at the same angle (shaft angle).

If you do not put them 90° however, the effect can be even worse (meaning the rotation of your wheel will be inconsistent with the amount your tires turn, sometimes too much, sometimes too little).

This this 90° offset of universal joints is the inspiration between the double cardan CV joint.
    Call Borgeson and let them know.

http://www.borgeson.com/Designing/angles.html

My VIN:    4519

With the DD shaft, I'm unable to phase them in any way other than "mirrored."

Anybody else with a DD shaft report otherwise?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Call Borgeson and let them know.

http://www.borgeson.com/Designing/angles.html
    Not sure what you mean. Let them know what? That their diagram is correct? That diagram shows the two joints 90 degrees offset as they're supposed to be. Look at the joints as a whole, the one on the right is rotated 90 degrees from the one on the left.

EDIT: I suppose since the inner halves of the joints are in the same orientation, the term 'Mirrored Phase' does make sense.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 03-27-2017 at 09:47 PM.

My VIN:    5312

About to go do mine. I have the borg steering shaft which I got by buying from Toby at Delorean parts NW. Do I have this guy put together correctly when it calls for it to be "Mirrored"? Looks like it, but i will be taking it apart and fitting it according to tobys procedure.
    Attached Images
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    About to go do mine. I have the borg steering shaft which I got by buying from Toby at Delorean parts NW. Do I have this guy put together correctly when it calls for it to be "Mirrored"? Looks like it, but i will be taking it apart and fitting it according to tobys procedure.
    Forgot to include when I am done I am going to take her for a drive and see how vibration is. After I am going to serious zip tye some door gasket material I have lying around thats about the same size and used as a gasket on air and water tight doors onboard us navy ships. I want to see if i notice a difference in vibration and could be a budget vibration dampener, but i doubt ill keep it on permanently as I dont want to mask any steering problems if I have any in the future.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Looks correct to me. I have the vibration reducing joint and it was a big difference to me.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...ening-u-joints

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    -----Dan B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2