FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Maybe pull the engine?

My VIN:    10686

Maybe pull the engine?

So I'm at a cross road here I started my valley of death project and all went well with the removal. It got me thinking about a few things....

1. I my car has just over 100 k and an unknown service history.

2. The place I bought it from claimed to have done a full tune up.

3. Number 2 was false based on what I found when doing the vod and pulling the plugs/wires.

4. I have a nice rear main seal leak that needs to be addressed at some point.

So I guess my question is how cumbersome is pulling the engine? I feel like I'm halfway there and just need to know is is that bad getting it out or do you guys think it's worth it?

I've read all the stage 2 things you can do and that sounds great and all.

So what's involved in the separation? Is it best to take both engine and transmission together or separate the 2? I have a manual transmission so I figure it can't be that bad.

Background on the engine is it hunts just a bit at idle when warmed up, the idle quality ie not being rough or anything is good. It's smoother than my 05 ranger. The only leak that I have noticed is the main seal leak. The engine has not over heated on me and everything seems to be in good order. It's just really dirty in my opinion.

The only thing that concerns me is there is a soft lime like build up on the water pump pipes and when I pulled the pump the line to the heater was a bit rusty inside.

Let me know. I'll post some pics in a min.General overview of the valley, all and all not to bad to get it all off
    IMG_0901.JPGIMG_0902.JPGIMG_0903.jpgIMG_0904.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by txdmc; 03-27-2017 at 01:40 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Do a compression test. If it doesn't burn oil and you have good compression leave the motor in. Anything you need to be done to the motor can be done with the motor in the car as long as you don't have to touch the bottom end. When you do the rear main oil seal remove the transmission only.
    David Teitelbaum

I will do that, also got the pics posted.

IMG_0905.jpg

just to reference both sides of the lower engine look like this? its pretty thick. could this all be from that main seal or 100 k of use?

My VIN:    10201

i just saw this video of wheeler dealers where they do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xYQdVrRBjA

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Honestly, that looks more like 100k of road grime than a leaking rear main seal. Look at bit more closely at where the engine meets the bellhousing for traces of oil.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

So I pulled the engine and transmission! It wasn't that hard. What kind of bolts do I need to put the engine on an engine stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk