FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch or Bougicord?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Bosch or Bougicord?

I am taking my second trip into the VOD, much simpler than the first was(!), and I noticed wires 1 and 4 didn't seem nice and snug on the distributor cap. I pulled them off and the leads inside were pushed way down into the boot, I tried to gently pull them up a bit with pliers but they still do not seem to be secure enough. As I have the intake off I figure it's best to replace. At present I have 7mm Bosch wires (a local mechanic installed them 4-5 years ago). What do you prefer Bosch or Bougicord? I think all of our D vendors carry Bosch and I found Bougicord at Advance Auto (albeit for the Volvo 262): http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...ark+plug+wires

Any recommendations?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10644

Well, if all the DeLorean vendors carry Bosch...

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    Well, if all the DeLorean vendors carry Bosch...
    Right. There is a reason I'm sure. I went Bosch with my wires because it was the OEM wire as well. My OEM wires worked flawlessly so why change what is working?
    David Proehl

My VIN:    1710

About 15 years ago I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and coil on my first DeLorean with high performance stuff from Hervey and it caused all sorts of problems on my car. First of all the car wouldn't even start with the aftermarket coil. Then the radio interference from the plug wires was so terrible I swapped those back to Bosch as well. The ignition system is one of those systems on the DeLorean that seems to function best when you stick with OEM components.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Right. There is a reason I'm sure. I went Bosch with my wires because it was the OEM wire as well. My OEM wires worked flawlessly so why change what is working?
    Actually I am not sure Bosch were the OEM wires. I remember reading that Bougicord was then they became hard to find in the United States so Bosch became the most readily available replacement. The reason I am asking is because I found Bougicords for a decent price and wondered if anyone is using them.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

According to the UK Club Bougicord were the D's OEM wires: http://www.deloreanclub.uk/ignition-leads-ht-leads.html
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Actually I am not sure Bosch were the OEM wires. I remember reading that Bougicord was then they became hard to find in the United States so Bosch became the most readily available replacement. The reason I am asking is because I found Bougicords for a decent price and wondered if anyone is using them.
    Bougicord WAS the OEM ignition wireset on the Delorean. Every one of the 40 plus brand new Deloreans we sold from 81 thru 83 came so equipped. Some vendors switched to Bosch because Bougicord is now very hard to get in the states. Bosch wire sets are not one of their better products and this in one place where the French have the Germans beat in reliability. I can say this and still be PC because I am part German unless you're French and then my meaning is purposely ambiguous. Bosch wiresets typically start arcing in a year or two of daily driving especially if you encounter wet conditions. Stay away from the red Bougicords that DMCL foisted on the original dealer network (if you encounter them) as they are junk. If you findblack Bougicords get them as that is the good stuff. We are currently using A/C Delco as our preferred supplier but there are some others available that seem to work well too.
    Rob

Thank you Mr. Grady. Do you carry the black Bougicords? I found these listed at Advance Auto: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...ark+plug+wires

I was very surprised when I inspected the leads and found them not making good contact as they are only 4-5 years old. I guess this would explain why the car felt slightly off twice this summer when it rained and why the last time I had it running in the garage this winter I thought it had a slight misfire until it warmed up. I grew up with my Dad's BMWs so I used to think Bosch and all things German were superior to all but another myth has been put to pasture
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Thank you Mr. Grady. Do you carry the black Bougicords? I found these listed at Advance Auto: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...ark+plug+wires

I was very surprised when I inspected the leads and found them not making good contact as they are only 4-5 years old. I guess this would explain why the car felt slightly off twice this summer when it rained and why the last time I had it running in the garage this winter I thought it had a slight misfire until it warmed up. I grew up with my Dad's BMWs so I used to think Bosch and all things German were superior to all but another myth has been put to pasture
    Not currently because my WD's stopping importing them. I'm surprised to see them available at Advance and may investigate further. The AC Delco's are very good as well BTW.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Not currently because my WD's stopping importing them. I'm surprised to see them available at Advance and may investigate further. The AC Delco's are very good as well BTW.
    Rob
    You and me both. How much are the AC Delcos? I am unhappy with the Bosches and am going to give one of these a try.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast