FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bosch or Bougicord?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

My DMC red bosch wires are 7 years old. they have 15k miles on them. Recently in wet weather i have developed a miss. Could this be the bosch wires giving up? I have a rally in may here in the pacific north west. I can't be down a cylinder in the mountains.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    You and me both. How much are the AC Delcos? I am unhappy with the Bosches and am going to give one of these a try.
    PM with options sent.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    My DMC red bosch wires are 7 years old. they have 15k miles on them. Recently in wet weather i have developed a miss. Could this be the bosch wires giving up? I have a rally in may here in the pacific north west. I can't be down a cylinder in the mountains.
    The red Bougicords are notoriously bad. Yuo're lucky they lasted that long. Look at them on a damp night and you'll think Grucci is staging a fireworks display in your engine compartment. Retire those puppies!
    Rob

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The red Bougicords are notoriously bad. Yuo're lucky they lasted that long. Look at them on a damp night and you'll think Grucci is staging a fireworks display in your engine compartment. Retire those puppies!
    Rob
    But mine are Bosch. Are they Bougicords in disguise?!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    But mine are Bosch. Are they Bougicords in disguise?!
    My mistake! When I read red I instantly thought old obsolete Bougicord. Never seen red Bosch but if they're like the black ones they're probably shot given your symptoms.

My VIN:    6125

Perfect timing for me to read through this thread, sounds like some A/C Delco ignition wires are in my future soon.

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Are these the original (hard to find) wires from Bougicord? Just took these off last night.

2017-03-29 14.38.52.jpg

Someone mentioned rain/moisture causing problems with a certain type of wires. I have always had a problem starting my car if it sat outside overnight (not garaged) and condensation formed overnight. Same if it rained while parked. It probably doesn't matter at this point as I'll be replacing these anyway.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6298 View Post
    Are these the original (hard to find) wires from Bougicord? Just took these off last night.

2017-03-29 14.38.52.jpg

Someone mentioned rain/moisture causing problems with a certain type of wires. I have always had a problem starting my car if it sat outside overnight (not garaged) and condensation formed overnight. Same if it rained while parked. It probably doesn't matter at this point as I'll be replacing these anyway.
    When I went over my VOD, Dave at midwest suggested the Bougicord. He told me they are french but he never has a problem with them. So far so good
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    When I went over my VOD, Dave at midwest suggested the Bougicord. He told me they are french but he never has a problem with them. So far so good
    Too bad mine are probably from 1981.. unless this black variant was available in the late 1990s and were installed then. Most of the new parts put in my car back then came from Rob Grady, I believe.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Thank you Mr. Grady. Do you carry the black Bougicords? I found these listed at Advance Auto: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...ark+plug+wires

I was very surprised when I inspected the leads and found them not making good contact as they are only 4-5 years old. I guess this would explain why the car felt slightly off twice this summer when it rained and why the last time I had it running in the garage this winter I thought it had a slight misfire until it warmed up. I grew up with my Dad's BMWs so I used to think Bosch and all things German were superior to all but another myth has been put to pasture
    I noticed the Advance web site says these Bougicord's do not fit the DeLorean?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast