FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New DELOREAN production update

My VIN:    01067

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

New DELOREAN production update

Anyone know whats going to happen with DMC and the new run of cars?
    Edited by mods

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Do not make a post with your views of politics. Quick way to get a time out here.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

The delay is probably related to the lack of binnacles. ;-)
    Last edited by Andrew; 03-28-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Pre-emptive self-edited political comment ;-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    Midproduction

My best guess is they're stalling based on uncertainty from lack of further legislation / rulemaking for the implementation of low-volume vehicle manufacturing according to their last update. Perhaps not a big priority right now with the snafu in DC pre and post-elections. Wouldn't be the first time this car's production is halted over politics.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    My best guess is they're stalling based on uncertainty from lack of further legislation / rulemaking for the implementation of low-volume vehicle manufacturing according to their last update. Perhaps not a big priority right now with the snafu in DC pre and post-elections. Wouldn't be the first time this car's production is halted over politics.
    My guess is they need a certain minimum amount of pre-orders before they commit to production. Probably many parts need to be ordered, reproduced, acquired, etc before they can actually build the cars so they are taking deposits to build up a fund to get started. One example would be drivertrains. You do not order them one at a time. Say you must buy 50. You probably would want at least 25 cars committed to (or more) before buying the drivetrains. As I understand it, DMCH already has the authority to build the cars. I don't think politics has anything to do with it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Midproduction

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    My guess is they need a certain minimum amount of pre-orders before they commit to production. Probably many parts need to be ordered, reproduced, acquired, etc before they can actually build the cars so they are taking deposits to build up a fund to get started. One example would be drivertrains. You do not order them one at a time. Say you must buy 50. You probably would want at least 25 cars committed to (or more) before buying the drivetrains. As I understand it, DMCH already has the authority to build the cars. I don't think politics has anything to do with it.
    Not disagreeing with you at all, David - everything you said is very likely if anything. That said, from their last update in October 2016:

"As mentioned before, while the legislation that allows for low-volume vehicle manufacturing was signed into law in December of 2015, the actual rulemaking process for the implementation of the law is in the hands of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

The latest update from the EPA indicates they may issue a “guidance document” that will spell out how low-volume manufacturers (like DMC) can register with the EPA and comply with the laws regarding installation of certified engine packages.

CARB officials are working with several companies seeking an “Executive Order” – commonly known as an “EO” – for engine packages that are suitable for the low-volume manufacturer’s use. This, along with some other action still being defined, is necessary in order to take advantage of the federal law.

NHTSA staff are considering how best to implement the new legislation, and currently have no timetable for issuing regulations or guidance documents. The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) has been working closely with the low-volume law sponsors, Representative Gene Green (D-TX) and Representative Markwayne Mullin (R-OK), in urging NHTSA to consider issuing a “guidance document” allowing sales to begin in 2017 even if regulations were still being drafted.

Accordingly, on October 12, 2016 we submitted a “Request for Interpretation” letter to the Chief Counsel of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that would deem DeLorean Motor Company eligible to sell vehicles while NHTSA drafts regulations. We’ll report more on this as it develops."

Reference:
    http://www.newdelorean.com/october-2...volume-update/

If I had to restate my first post, I'd say this sounds more like a bureaucratic nightmare than politics, but I'm sure we can only speculate until Houston pushes out any further updates.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Not disagreeing with you at all, David - everything you said is very likely if anything. That said, from their last update in October 2016:

"As mentioned before, while the legislation that allows for low-volume vehicle manufacturing was signed into law in December of 2015, the actual rulemaking process for the implementation of the law is in the hands of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

The latest update from the EPA indicates they may issue a “guidance document” that will spell out how low-volume manufacturers (like DMC) can register with the EPA and comply with the laws regarding installation of certified engine packages.

CARB officials are working with several companies seeking an “Executive Order” – commonly known as an “EO” – for engine packages that are suitable for the low-volume manufacturer’s use. This, along with some other action still being defined, is necessary in order to take advantage of the federal law.

NHTSA staff are considering how best to implement the new legislation, and currently have no timetable for issuing regulations or guidance documents. The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) has been working closely with the low-volume law sponsors, Representative Gene Green (D-TX) and Representative Markwayne Mullin (R-OK), in urging NHTSA to consider issuing a “guidance document” allowing sales to begin in 2017 even if regulations were still being drafted.

Accordingly, on October 12, 2016 we submitted a “Request for Interpretation” letter to the Chief Counsel of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that would deem DeLorean Motor Company eligible to sell vehicles while NHTSA drafts regulations. We’ll report more on this as it develops."

Reference:
    http://www.newdelorean.com/october-2...volume-update/

If I had to restate my first post, I'd say this sounds more like a bureaucratic nightmare than politics, but I'm sure we can only speculate until Houston pushes out any further updates.
    While all of that mumbo-jumbo may have some truth to it, DMCH may be using it to also stall on production while still taking initial orders. I would not take DMCH's word for it, my guess is you can go over to the .gov agencies and check for yourself as to what the status is. But on the other hand it is believable that if you depend on the government to help you you will have a long wait and eventually wind up disappointed. There are 2 other companies in the same position as DMCH, it would be interesting to see what they are doing.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2222

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCH) (DCUK)

I spoke with Sarah @ DMCH back in February as I was wondering if they had made any progress on the redesign of the front suspension and she inform me that "... We have yet to make any real progress on the new car due to the EPA and NHTSA not finalizing the fine print to the production rule on schedule. It was supposed to have been done last December but has not happened yet. Maybe the new administration will help that along, but for now we are in a holding pattern so we don't move forward and spend money on developing something that can't be used in the final product..."

My VIN:    5302

Quote Originally Posted by durech View Post
    I spoke with Sarah @ DMCH back in February as I was wondering if they had made any progress on the redesign of the front suspension and she inform me that "... We have yet to make any real progress on the new car due to the EPA and NHTSA not finalizing the fine print to the production rule on schedule. It was supposed to have been done last December but has not happened yet. Maybe the new administration will help that along, but for now we are in a holding pattern so we don't move forward and spend money on developing something that can't be used in the final product..."
    I get all my updates on the "new DMC's" from morons at every gas station!!!

No need to search for answers. Go fill up your car, and it's all people will tell you.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Those of us who have been into DeLoreans for the past decade know these crys of "Wolf Wolf!" all too well. To put it bluntly, I have heard it so many times in the past that I stopped caring if and or when any new car will ever come.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast